2 week old chicks ditched MPH

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Twoleggedmotherhen, Mar 15, 2019.

1. Twoleggedmotherhen

Twoleggedmotherhen Songster

May 19, 2018
    Lynden,Wa
    They are inside thermost at at 71. Had adjusted MHP from their actions, staying at front, a week on low. Yesterday the 2 week old chicks ditched it. Turned it off, thinking they would go under to sleep. Nope they slept side by side (not on top of each other). Left MHP in just in case they decided to go under. Checked several times during the night, all slept completely away. No distress chirps or climb on top huddling. These chicks are not normal :lau
    Took MHP out this morning replaced with a round roosting bar, put a pillowcase on top of the wire to giving them a draft protected roost. If they showed distress would put MHP back in. Been 5 hours no distress or huddling, running around doing their thing (eating, drinking, testing wings out, jumping on top of feeder & waterer), little naps side by side. They seem very content. They figured out the roosting bar. Once one did it the others followed.
    20190315_103500.jpg

2. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. .....

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    My experience is they self-wean quickly.....even my outdoor (in coop) brooded chicks that are in temps ranging from 20-40 degrees are done with mhp by 3 weeks.

3. Twoleggedmotherhen

May 19, 2018
    Lynden,Wa
    Kind of shocked me since they still have a lot down, but they knew what they wanted.Taking my cues from them of what they want. Didn't take them long to figure out the roost. Less than an hour was sitting on it. Were walking across like a tightrope walker.
    They sure have amazed me.

4. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. .....

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    It's amazing what can be learned from giving them the opportunity to show you what they need/want vs following books, "rules", etc. Chickens know better how to chicken than we do......

5. Twoleggedmotherhen

May 19, 2018
    Lynden,Wa
    You are so right on that. We tend to over think and over react, that's human nature.
    This morning I removed the potty pads. Let them on the wood chips (have 2 five gallon buckets of chips in there). They have been having fun scratching, chip bathing, chasing each other who has a chip. So cute watching them. Especially when they make a nap nest.
    Put a side of chick grit in and the horizontal waterer (chick waterer is close to it). They have been trying the horizontal. They know where to peck, just not doing it hard enough. But they will get it in time.
    Have one who likes to sleep more on her side. Startled me for a bit, then she got up went and cowed down, drank. Hadn't seen that. Said ok you are eating and drinking so no problem.

ButtonquailGirl14 likes this.
  6. ATownMama

ATownMama In the Brooder

Feb 28, 2019
    Wow! Mine still like to all sleep under their heating element (not a lamp - the infrared kind). I honestly think they do it because it’s cozy and feels safe to them rather than because of the heat. During the day they’re on the roost, walking, running and trying to fly all over the brooder - so I know they’re not cold. Besides, we live in Central California and our temps in the day are 70-75 right now. At night it’s down in the 40s but we have the heat on in the house at night (which is where they’re staying, currently).

It seems pretty easy to overthink all of this - particularly if you haven’t done it before. Kind of like it is with kids. :D

7. ButtonquailGirl14

ButtonquailGirl14 Crossing the Road

Jul 13, 2017
    Northport WA
    Good job!

Twoleggedmotherhen likes this.
  8. Twoleggedmotherhen

May 19, 2018
    Lynden,Wa
    Temps here have been upper 40's - lower 50's,, nights been upper 30's. Today was 61 last night low was 41. They say 60's until next Sat (low in 40's), then back to lower to mid 50's (low upper 30's, lower 40's).
    First time with chicks this young. Other 2 were 4 weeks.

9. Twoleggedmotherhen

May 19, 2018
    Lynden,Wa
    :celebrate 2 have figured out the horizontal waterer. Just watched them getting drinks. They might have been doing it this afternoon. I was outside getting the run within the run ready to put the see but no touch wire on.

123RedBeard likes this.
  10. aart

aart Chicken Juggler!

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    They may need the heat once outside in lower than 70° temps.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: