2 week old chicks have stopped using heat plate

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by jojorose8, Apr 30, 2017.

1. jojorose8

jojorose8 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 17, 2017
    Chelsea, VT
    Hi all! My chicks will be 2 weeks in 2 days. I have the Premier 1 heat plate which has been working great. But the last 2 nights when the chicks go to sleep they have stopped using the heat plate and just sleep in a big pile in a corner of the brooder. Thinking maybe they were too warm, I raised the plate up more on 1 side to near the top, but they still don't use it. They use it during the day to warm up while going about their chick activities just not at nightime. Should I be concerned or just let sleep in the pile?

Last edited: Apr 30, 2017
  2. Stephine

Stephine Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2016
    Sonoma
    How many chicks, how big a pile? What is the temperature in the brooder? Any changes, especially lighting?

3. jojorose8

Apr 17, 2017
    Chelsea, VT
    6 chicks. Right now they are out of the pile and just sleeping next to each other. My house temp is 67 degrees and the brooder is inside in my office. It's a large appliance box layed sideways with walls about 2' high. No changes. I keep a little night light in for them just to have a small amount of illumination, but I've done that since I brought them home. I tried putting them under the heat plate, but they all just kept walking out and went back to sleeping in the corner (and they were not impressed with me waking them up).

4. jojorose8

Apr 17, 2017
    Chelsea, VT
    One of the chicks has moved back under the heat plate, but the others are still out. I'm afraid they won't wake up if they get too cold and will freeze to death.

5. Stephine

Stephine Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2016
    Sonoma
    Hmmm.
    The only time mine have done something like that was with changes that freaked them out, especially turning off lights. When I switch from the 175w dark red lamp to a heat emitter they crowd in the spot furthest away from the creepy dark "lamp" for a couple of nights. Later we get the same thing if we turn off the lights in our house in the wrong order (they are off the kitchen in the sunroom). I usually pick them up after they have gone to sleep and put them near their usual sleeping spot and since it's dark they stay put then...

They probably won't freeze to death in 67 degrees and they haven't the last couple of nights obviously. Have you tried just raising up both sides of the heat plate? I have heard that those premier1 are warmer than the ecoglows, so that might be worth a try.
    I think as long as you have the little light on close to their heat plate they would probably find it in the night if they needed it.
    If it was me, I would probably pick them up and put them close to it, so they can feel where the warm spot is and move towards it if they need to, but I am also just a clucker (as in "mother hen") myself... [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 30, 2017
  6. jojorose8

Apr 17, 2017
    Chelsea, VT
    In the half hour after my last post I noticed they moved one by one under the heat plate until only one was left and I picked her up a set her under it. I guess they figured it out, smart babies!!! Thanks for the help!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by