2 Week Old Chicks Lethargic, Please Help

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by slaughter170, Jul 12, 2010.

1. slaughter170

slaughter170 Out Of The Brooder

May 13, 2010
    Okay, this is my second post in less than 2 hours. We recently got our first chicks, they are two weeks old today. Yesterday we came home to find their water turned over. Three of them did not look well. We got them seemingly better, but today they all seem to be tired. Certain ones that were really spunky now are not. They all seem to be lethargic to varying degrees. My daughters, 1 and 3 adore these chcickens and I would really hate to loose one of them. Any advice from someone with more experience would be greatly appreciated!

2. LynneP

LynneP Chillin' With My Peeps

For dehydration-

Even though a chick or an adult may not drink when dehydrated or cold/ill, there is a way to stimulate them to drink. It's called the sipping reflex, and it means that if a drop of fluid lands on the beak, they will automatically sip at it. This is very useful for offering electrolytes/liquid meds by dropper or oil for impactions. You must avoid the nares (nose holes) though to prevent aspiration, and be sure to stay there with the bird long enough to administer several mls. It's useful to have a needle-less syringe marked, like baby syringes or vet syringes. 5 ml of most liquids would be a minimum, and remember that when using this method some will be wasted, so have a rag or towel on your lap if that is how you are positioned with the bird. In an emergency though,you could use a plastic straw or eyedropper, sometimes you need to spring into action. The drops should normally land on the curve of the beak. If the bird is restless, try dimming the lights. (You can use diluted gatorade if you want)

Are they on medicated feed? Whatever they have, moisten with water for a day or so to make it easier to swallow.

3. slaughter170

May 13, 2010
    They are on medicated feed, and all bu three looked okay when we got home and found the water spilled. The are eating and drinking good it seems but today they aren't running around like they did 24 hours ago. Some of the wilder ones that didn't really like being held don't even resist today.

4. LynneP

LynneP Chillin' With My Peeps

Dehydration is very hard on them, they'll need watching...but thank goodness they are improving! I bet they'd love some diluted gatorade...

5. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    You could go to the farm store, and get a packet of vitamin/electrolites, and mix some of that in their drinking water....that may help to pep them up. You could also put a little bit of sugar in their water to stimulate them.

Maybe they just got a bit dehydrated. They might be fine in a few days. How's the temp in your brooder? Not too hot is it?

6. slaughter170

May 13, 2010
    Thanks to all, they are doing better![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by