2 week old chicks on medicated feed

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Zgm12, Jun 5, 2016.

1. Zgm12

Zgm12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2014
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I have six 2 week old chicks. I used to have seven however one died yesterday. As a preventative measure, I wanted to put them on medicated feed. They have been on regular feed for the past two weeks. Is it safe to put them on medicated feed now?

2. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Medicated feed is safe to feed for a few weeks at any age. The medication is actually a thiamine blocker, not an antibiotic. It only help protect against the coccidia protozoa. It will not protect your chicks from bacterial or viral infections. The amount of 'medication' in the feed will not stop an active outbreak of coccidiosis. For that, you need a more concentrated form of the medication. If you 2-week old chicks haven't been outdoors yet, there is little chance that they have coccidia. It's actually a good idea to get them on the medicated feed before you start transitioning them outdoors. That way, they will be able to develop resistance to the protozoa in the outside environment without their systems getting overwhelmed.

1 person likes this.
  3. Zgm12

Jul 29, 2014
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Th
    They have been "outside" in a lower run. The death was very sudden and they all look fine now. The only reason I suspect cocci is the one that died had a slightly bloody vent upon postmortem examination. I'm keeping them inside the coop for maybe 1-2 weeks to keep an eye on them. What are the symptoms of coccidiosis?

4. junebuggena

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Symptoms of coccidia can can include lethargy, sitting all puffed up, or not eating and drinking much. They don't always get bloody poo.

1 person likes this.
  5. Folly's place

Folly's place Chicken Obsessed

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    Possibly this. Amprolium medicated feed is a very good idea for chicks for their first six to eight weeks, as june said, but won't treat an active illness. Some properties have lots of coccidia, and some don't, so the treated feed is cheap insurance against chick deaths from this parasite, but not any other possible problems. Mary

1 person likes this.
  6. chickengeorgeto

chickengeorgeto Overrun With Chickens

Dec 25, 2012
    I have to second and third what June and Mary said.. Medicated Chicken feed is in the strictest sense not medicated but it does contain a synthetic vitamin that the coccidiosis parasite is unable to use as an energy source. This starves and weakens the coccidiosis organism which allows the baby chick's immune system to recognize coccidiosis as a threat and develop natural resistance before coccidiosis kills the chick out right..

1 person likes this.
  7. Zgm12

Jul 29, 2014
    Pittsburgh, PA
    They don't have any of those symptoms, all are running around happily and eating and drinking. I will keep an eye on them and treat them with medicine if they develop coccidia. For now, I will put them on the medicated feed. I know it won't stop them from getting coccidia, but at least it will prevent that from happening if they don't have it currently. Thank you all for your great advice!!

8. BruceAZ

BruceAZ Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2016
    Valley of the Sun :)
    the pet store gave us some feed when we bought the chicks

but it only lasted 1 week or so for 5 chicks

i don't know if the feed they provided were medicated or non-medicated

at the time i didn't know about feed.. so i went to wal-mart and the only starter feed they have is the medicated feed for $5.78 ? manna pro brand..

so i use the 5lb bag until i found another non-medicated organic starter feed from petsmart..

there's no grower feed here (wal-mart and petsmart).. maybe tractor supply will have some but they are too far from me

so i'm feeding them the 30lb bag of non-medicated starter feed..

i didn't notice any problem when switching between non-medicated - medicated feed..

9. junebuggena

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Do you have a local farm and garden supply store?

10. BruceAZ

BruceAZ Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2016
    Valley of the Sun :)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by