2 week old chicks outgrowing brooder

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by theemon, Sep 27, 2012.

1. theemon

theemon Out Of The Brooder

Jul 23, 2012
    ohio
    What do u guys do when ur chicks outgrow there brooder but are too small for the coop? I guess I'm building a larger brooder??

2. ChickensRDinos

ChickensRDinos Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2012
    Los Angeles
    How many chick's do you have? I have used an extra large dog crate in the past (the coated metal wire kind). Worked great and I can fold it up when I don't need it.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2012
  3. swirler

swirler Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2011
    Our chicks are two weeks old now. They've been moved out to our large hutch in the chookshed. The top is hinged so that it comes completely open for cleaning, replacing food and water, etc. It has 2-3 perches so the chicks can practise flitting and roosting. The bottom is wire, and we put a tray of shavings in one end under the light.

Soon we'll take the towels off the sides of the hutch to allow the chooks and chicks to see each other. When the chicks get a bit bigger, we'll open two little doors in the sides of the hutch, big enough for the chicks but not big enough for the big chooks: so they can start to mingle, but the laying chooks won't be able to hassle the chicks in their bed area or get at their medicated feed. This system worked great last time.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by