2 week old chicks outside?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by sunnydt, Jun 19, 2010.

1. sunnydt

sunnydt Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2010
    Oklahoma
    I have some 2 week old chicks. The temp here outside is around 95 during the day and can go from 76 - 82 degrees at night. Should I give them a heat lamp at night? is the temp too hot during the day?

Last edited: Jun 19, 2010
  2. pgpoultry

pgpoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2009
    Wales
    Should be easily hot enough by day, but provide plenty of water and shade.
    At night they probably still need the heat lamp.

Sandie

3. abooth

abooth Chillin' With My Peeps

I think I'd give them a heat lamp, just make sure they can get away from the heat. You might not need the 250 watt one maybe a weaker one would be better.

4. sunnydt

Mar 5, 2010
    Oklahoma
    thanks guys

5. chickenriot

chickenriot Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2010
    Brownsboro, Tx.
    Hi,

I have my 2 and a half week old barred rock chicks on a 100 watt bulb at night only. They're still inside and the room is at about 85 degrees during the day. They're very active at that temperature and haven't given any indication that they are chilly.

6. Gramma and Grandson

Gramma and Grandson Out Of The Brooder

Apr 24, 2010
    Sorrento, Florida
    I have 17 baby orpingtons that have been outside since they were about 1 1/2 weeks old. We live in Florida and have the same temp as you. They are in a wire brooder inside a regular chain link covered pen. I have not used a light. I do cover them on three sides in case of rain or wind.

7. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    My week and a half old chicks are doing just fine with 80-85 (using a 90W bulb) at night, no heat whatsoever during the day; except what mother nature is providing. They are on our screened porch.
    Our daytime temps. are running in the mid to high 90s, nighttime lows are in the low 70s.

8. sunnydt

Mar 5, 2010
    Oklahoma
    gritsar, when I saw the temps you are having I looked at your profile and see that you are in arkansas, Im in oklahoma. Its a hot one today!

9. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:It's incredibly hot. Bank thermometer in town said 100 degrees F at 6 PM and it's only June?!?
    I was just doing some figuring. My chicks will more than likely be going off their heat lamp completely in another week and a half (3 weeks old) and unless there's a serious cool down, out to the coop with the big 'uns the same week. We're working on sectioning off an unused area of the coop for the little ones until they get some size on them. The only exception may be the smaller of my two silkies, but if at all possible he's going out at the same time.

10. Berkshiremom

Berkshiremom Out Of The Brooder

Jun 1, 2010
    Western MA
    Hi, I put my 2week Faverolles, and 3week EE's, outside yesterday for the first time and they loved it, It was about 86 here, and very humid. I only put them out for about an hour and they had a ball.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by