2 Week Old Chicks Starting To Get Sick.... Help Me Figure This Out!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by samantha1128, Dec 2, 2011.

1. samantha1128

samantha1128 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 2, 2011
    Gilbert Arizona
    I Have 7 2 Week Old Chicks. All Have Been Healthy Up Until A Couple Of Days Ago. One Started Breathing Heavy So I Moved It To A New Box With A Heat Lamp And It Died 2 Days Later. Others Seemed Fine And Now (2 Days After First On Died) Another Chick Is Breathing Heavy And Chirping At The Same Time.

They Are All Under The Lamp And Have Plenty Of Space And Places To Get Out Of Heat Or In Heat. They Have Fresh Water And I Clean Their Area Every Other Day. I Am Using Corn Cob Bedding And Paper Towels Under Water And Food Area.

I Moved The Other Sick Chick And Will See What She Looks Like When I Get Home Today.

They Haven't Been Expposed To Other Chickens And I Am Really Stumped On What This Is. Is It Just Natural Selection? They Seemed So Healthy The First 2 Weeks!

Has Anyone Seen This Before? Should I Try To Feed The Chick With Wet Food And Maybe Some Apple Cider Vinegar?

They Get Chick Food With Grit And Water With The Antibiotic In It. (i Only Give This Every Other Day And A Small Amount Per The Instructions)

Help! They Are French Copper Marans. Not Sure If That Matters.....[​IMG]

2. samantha1128

Dec 2, 2011
    Gilbert Arizona
    Anybody? Should I post it on a different thread?

I am new so I wasn't sure if it went under baby chicks or sickness....

3. rancher hicks

rancher hicks Chicken Obsessed

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    Just some questions.

1. Did you hatch these yourself?

2. Have you had problems with your older chickens or chicks in the past?

3. How is the humidity in the room?

4. Is the corn cob stuff dusty?

5. Are you feeding them "medicated chick starter" or something else?

6. If they are on a commercial feed they don't need grit at this age.

7. Any "treats" ?

Chicks need two things only, A medicated feed and clean water. Nothing added. I realize some folks like giving other things but I've found they do just fine on those two things.

I have had chicks just drop for what ever reason. Sometimes we just don't know. To lose more than one may be signs of a problem. The key word being "may". It may be nothing your doing at all. I've had chicks that just needed some rest I think and I've put them in a box with a warm hot water bottle and some feed and water in a dish and closed it up so they could sleep undisturbed for a couple of days.

Stress weakens a chickens immune system. This goes for adults as well as chicks. I do not allow anyone to chase or tease my birds. I move calmly when I'm in the coop. If I need to catch one I hold it til it calms down.

I wish you the best,

Rancher

4. samantha1128

Dec 2, 2011
    Gilbert Arizona
    they are on chick feed and medicated water. (the tetracycline yellow powder)

they are in the laundry room and I am in az so the humidity is low.

no treats

corn cob stuff is not dusty at all

my flock of 3 adults are healthy and outside. they have never been around babies

i don't mess with the babies at all other then move them to clean their cage

and yes, I hatched them myself.

5. Bantam Username

Bantam Username Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 3, 2011
    Wiltshire, UK
    Have you checked your thermometer is correct, if they get too hot they'll pant and dehydrate quickly, they'll be lethargic and then die. Maybe the temps have changed in the lauindry room? Hope you find out what is causing it. [​IMG]

6. Hunter0704

Hunter0704 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2011
    Wentzville, MO
    They are in the laundry room? When you turn on the dryer it will warm up the room, thus making the room the chicks are in that much warmer. Perhaps remove them when using the dryer.

I would suggest you do not put anything in their water. They are babies and don't need supplements at this age. Chick starter and plain water is fine.

Good luck!

7. SteveBaz

SteveBaz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    Pacific North West
    So sorry about the babies. Are they panting in any way? Are they crowding under the light or around the light? If they are under the light its to cold. If they are around the light its to hot. Are there cold drafts any where in the room they are in? Is there any foaming saliva coming from their mouths? Is their stool runny or bloody? I am wondering about if it may be Cocci.

I practice prevention. And if there's anything to practice prevention for, it's COCCIDIOSIS. Since Coccidiosis is one of the most flock-devastating protozoan diseases, 'Cocci' management should forever be at the forefront of any good health and nutrition program.

If you've ever survived a round of Cocci in your own flock, you know what I mean about devastating. If you're new to the Fancy with a cute little backyard flock, your days are numbered for heartbreak. It will come from nowhere in the form of a once healthy nice little bird suddenly looking as though they've ruffled their feathers. They may already be sulking in a corner. Then comes the bloody diarrhea or the oozing of clear fluid from the mouth when you pick them up. By this time, it's too late - most of the damage is already done, and it's only taken about 96 hours to get there. Cocci outbreaks are particularly disappointing because they usually strike our youngsters. Adult birds have some resistance to it, but only to the particular strain they've already been exposed to. If you bring in a brand new strain from another farm on your shoes, and conditions are right for their multiplication (damp litter or soil, spring-like temperatures), the adults will fall victim too. This is a good reason to practice 'bio-security', when introducing new birds to your existing flock.

by K.J. Theodore of www.shagbarkbantams.com

[​IMG] to the BYC

Last edited: Dec 3, 2011
  8. samantha1128

Dec 2, 2011
    Gilbert Arizona
    The baby died yesterday. Same time frame as the last one. It almost looked neurological. It stiffened up and stretched its feet out and died.

All the others look fine right now and i changed their bedding to paper towels just in case the corn cobs were causing a problem.

There heat source is on half of the space they are in and none of them were panting except for the sick one. they usually sleep in the middle. so I think the temp is fine.

Not sure what happened and we will see if any of the others get something.

Any ideas?

I talked to the feed store and one of the guys there said that he had one of his act like this as well recently. So maybe something is going around?

Not sure and it would be weird because they have never left the laundry room.

The laundry room has a big window and it is open during the day. Not a draft at all and I almost never do laundry. When I do I open the window.

9. samantha1128

Dec 2, 2011
    Gilbert Arizona
    It doesn't sound like Cocci. They have normal droppings and their feathers look normal. They only stop eating and drinking when they get weak. (and like I said kind of neurological.....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by