2 week old chicks starting to roost. Suggestions for dowel size?

Ricefarm224

Chirping
Mar 29, 2021
Arkansas
They knocked the lid off the feeder and I found one perching atop it today. Best I can do right now is an approximate 3/8" dowel and am wondering if I need to get a larger one real soon. Suggestions? Maybe a "branchy" piece of tree limb from the yard?

They knocked the lid off the feeder and I found one perching atop it today. Best I can do right now is an approximate 3/8" dowel and am wondering if I need to get a larger one real soon. Suggestions? Maybe a "branchy" piece of tree limb from the yard?
Ugh! Not post related, but your profile picture gave me a mini heart attack! I was like, "what the heck kind of tiny bug is that, and where did it come from!?" 🤣

I used a 1" dowel, and it worked very well. Be sure what ever you use doesn't rotate or rock. Mine did at first, and one chick stepped on it, and immediately jumped down because it wasn't sturdy. When I got it secure, they got on it and thought it was great.

Here is a photo of my chick roost. 2x2 that I rounded the edges a little more on.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210407-215515.png
    Screenshot_20210407-215515.png
    3 MB · Views: 20
Hi,
In my experience with raising 4 chicks I found small branches worked best as the bark was ruff enough for them to get better footing. It was cost effective to toss them when I needed to up size them to the next larger branch.
In my coop I use 1x4's and the bottom roost is a 1x6 as they use it to launch up to the higher roost boards. I must admit, I question the flat board as that is not something they would find in the wild to roost on.

One of the first things i learned about chickens when i was young, was that chickens prefer to roost flat footed and for the roost to be just as wide or wider than their foot. Gives them more space to prop their bodies on for even more support and balance. Much like they nap on the ground. Im not sure how accurate it is cause ive never researched it, its just a rule of thumb that's stuck with me. Ive never thought about trying anything else i suppose. Makes me want to go out to the coop and see if they're laying flat footed or if they have their toes off the egde to curl them onto it. I'm going to check, lol.

Back
Top Bottom