2 week old chicks STILL pecking each other!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by badgerang, Jun 10, 2011.

1. badgerang

badgerang New Egg

May 29, 2011
    So my one little Salmon Fav chick who's tail feathers were being pecked at has turned in to almost all of my chicks pecking at each other! We've tried Blue Kote, Vicks Vapor Rub, salt in the water, moved them to a bigger home, gave them dirt, grass and worms to dig through, and now they are ALL pecking each other! I don't know what else to do. The only thing I can think is that they are too hot. It's been in the 90's here in MD so it's gotten pretty hot out in the garage but we have the windows open and a fan on so the air is circulating. So do I need to move them all in the house in the AC to see if they really were too hot? Or trim their beaks?? For now, we've removed the brown Leghorns because they seem to be the biggest bullies. My Salmons, Ameraucanas, Brahmas and Cali Whites are still together. I think the Cali's are pecking too, but need to keep a closer eye to be sure before I separate them too. I'm so frustrated and discouraged because I don't know what to do! Everyone is pecking at everyone else, and I have a flock of 22 blue spotted chickens! [​IMG] Someone please tell me what to do!

2. NanaLantana

NanaLantana Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2011
    Lantana, Florida
    Just trim their beaks. Use a toenail clippers, take only theTINY tip off the top beak only. Don't worry, if you don't go too far and draw blood, it doesn't hurt, and it grows back. After trimming the top beak, look at the chick straight on - the top beak should show a little open curve. That is good - it lets the feathers slip through, so they can't pull them out. This should re-train them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by