2 week old cockeral with crackling chest... Help Please!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by CrazyChickens09, Mar 7, 2013.

1. CrazyChickens09

CrazyChickens09 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2009
    SC Kansas
    sneezes occasionally but the crackling has me really worried! I have read just about everything as far as what it could be and what he needs treatment wise.. but nothing. I called the hatchery in which they came from and she told me that they get "colds" like humans do.. which is not true because chickens don't get colds. Please help my boy

2. CrazyChickens09

Sep 14, 2009
    SC Kansas
    anyone??

3. Eva2012

Eva2012 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2013
    Perris, CA
    I never treated this with a chicken, but I can tell you, I have saved one of my dog's life three times by giving colloidal silver and MMS. Just an idea. I used 2 drops of MMS with 10 drops of activator in 2CCs of distilled water that I dropped down the throat; 3 times / day. Cough was gone within 2 days.
    Dose for a chicken would be 1 drop MMS / 5 drops activator in 2 CCs and use only 1 CC -- down the throat. That's what I would try with my chicken if I had that problem and I would make sure the chickens are in a comfortable warmth for healing.

4. SaltyPaws

SaltyPaws Out Of The Brooder

Jan 6, 2013
    Please elaborate- what is activator and MMS?

Very interested in this. Thanks!

5. realsis

realsis Crazy for Silkies

Jan 17, 2013
    California
    try tylan it is for respitory illness in chickens. it comes in two forms, one form you add to water, next form is injectable. called tylan 50. the injectable will enter there blood stream faster.if he is not drinking do the injectable
    you can look up tylan online. or try vet rx. look up both. decide which your comfortable using. get it going for him as quickly as possiable.hope this helps

6. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    You're correct. Chickens dont get colds, they get a specific disease. Since he is a hatchery bird and only 2 weeks old, I'm wondering if there's an environmental issue involved. Some birds inhale feed granules into a nostril causing sneezing and/or head shaking. The crackling could possibly be something stuck in his throat or crop. You can give him an eyedropperful of olive oil orally, then gently massage his throat downward to his crop. He will either puke or pass whatever is stuck. A warm saline flush into his nostrils may clear out any debris, IF that is what it is.
    Otherwise, IF it's a respiratory disease, there would most likely be other symptoms such as; wheezing, bubbly eyes, facial swelling, gurgling, head shaking, runny nostrils, as well as crackling and sneezing like you mentioned. If this is the case, I recommend tylan 50 injectable given orally. Dosage would be 1/4cc orally once a day for 5 days. Hopefully you'll see improvement within that time frame.

7. CrazyChickens09

Sep 14, 2009
    SC Kansas
    Thank you everyone for you suggestions, I REALLY do appreciate this!

none of chicks have facial swelling, mucous, watery or crusty eyes and are acting healthy other than the sneezing(3 out of 11) and crackling chest(1 out of 11).. I wondering if he has some pine bedding lodged in there as none of the others that are sneezing have the crackling in the chest like he does.. I put the whole gang on Tetroxy HCA-280 that goes in their water. I don't have olive oil on hand; would other oils work (veg, corn?). If that doesn't help I will try the Tylan injectable as soon as its safe to after the Tetroxy.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2013
  8. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Why would you want to give your birds an antibiotic when there is nothing wrong with them? I highly recommend that you stop giving them the antibiotic immediately. For your rooster, an eyedropperful of vegetable oil will work. Give the oil time to move/work the stuck debris if that's what it is. Then give your roo tylan (and him only) about 5 days later if there isnt any improvement.

9. Eva2012

Eva2012 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2013
    Perris, CA
    I have used MMS successfully for years, first I did the protocol and now I use it sporadically when I start getting the flu. It is basically stabilized oxygen - since it has helped so many cases - the medicos are not really happy about that - thus controversial. But IMHO the information is invaluable. Here is the Jim Humble website:
    http://jimhumble.org/ scroll all the way down, there is much information on the first page. There have been several improvements made with the formula. I have the very first one. It came in two bottles the solution itself and the activator, since once activated you had one hour to use the product. A regular person starts with 1 drop formula and 5 drops activator and increases the dose in the 1:5 ratio according to the protocol. (If you increase the dose too quickly - like taking too much Oxygen, your body will detox too quickly causing discomfort)

There is a product that seems to be similar (same formula?) that my chicken breeder recommended, it's called Oxine. He uses it to disinfect everything aviary and chickens. Amazon sells it and Revival sells it. I have not used this product since I still have a bottle of MMS that I use very sparingly. Here is the data sheet link about Oxine uses from Revival:
    http://www.revivalanimal.com/articles/how-to-use-oxine-ah.html
    Somewhere I read that oxine also uses Citric acid as an activator.

These are products very worth while looking into.

10. CrazyChickens09

Sep 14, 2009
    SC Kansas
    at the time I had lost 6 chickens earlier (ten days ago) and then this started and they were showing respiratory symptoms..I honestly didn't want to wait and lose the whole flock if it could be stopped. I will stop the antibiotics asap and try the veggie oil down the throat.. How do you get them to take it without it going into their lungs?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by