2 week old duckling with respiratory issues?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by I4Him, Jun 23, 2011.

1. I4Him

I4Him Out Of The Brooder

May 21, 2011
    Rothbury
    Was just cuddling the ducklings this morning a noticed one had a peculiar little "click" every time it breathed out. And I mean every time. It seems happy and energetic. No slowing this little guy down. No discharge from nostirls. Could this be a repiratory infection? I have the two ducklings (we hatched them) in our dining room in a pretty large dog kennel with a light on them. They are always warm. I wish I could say always dry, but I still have them on paper towel and though I try to constantly put in new it seems it is always saturated.

This is the first day of the noise. They cry pitifully if they are not picked and cuddled many times throughout the day so I would have heard it before now. If it is a repiratory infection can anyone tell me what to use for ducklings. I want to catch this early. Don't want to lose him!

Cindy

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    It may be that there is something in the nares - is there water deep enough for a thorough head washing available to the duckling? I made sure my ducklings had a head washing station in addition to their drinking water. They also got baths every day or two. The would snoot water through their nares to clean them out.

3. I4Him

I4Him Out Of The Brooder

May 21, 2011
    Rothbury
    The water probably is not deep enough for that. Thanks for the tip. I'll get a little deeper dabbling source for them and see if it clears up!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by