2 week old ducklings with holes in feet :(

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by featheredfashions, Sep 19, 2011.

1. featheredfashions

featheredfashions Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2011
    Florida
    As some of you know, I have a pair of 2 week old pekin ducklings. I got them when they were just a couple days old. When I went to go get them the lady got them out of the pen and they were covered in fire ants!! I mean they were covered, and I was even pulling ants out of their mouths! So i bought all 4 just to get them out of there. I recently found homes for the other two. They all had ant bites on their feet and now the bites have semi-healed and disappeared. But their feet are peeling. And I just looked and their webbing has some pinholes in it!! [​IMG] What do I do???? Will it grow back?? The one has a hole about the size of a BB in it!! They are walking fine and it does not seem to bother them, but I just don't know what I can do or if it will regenerate. Thank you [​IMG] Below is a photo of the largest hole.

[​IMG]

2. DUCKGIRL89

DUCKGIRL89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    TN
    Thats so sad! How could someone just leave four helpless ducklings in a pen of fire ants? Those are the kind of people that make me sick!

If they seem fine I would just let them go, nothing you can really do.

Good luck!

3. Kmoreau

Kmoreau Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2011
    I am so sorry, that poor baby!! I would just say keep it clean and dry. Make sure it doesnt look infected, try a triple antibiotic ointment. Nature has a way of curing all kind of injuries, just watch it, but it wil probably be just fine!!

4. JulieNKC

JulieNKC Overrun With Chickens

Sep 25, 2010
    Kansas City
    Oh how awful! I have no idea if it'll grow back, but the wounds look clean and not infected, so the little babes will be ok, I hope.

5. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

That looks like toe punching. It's a way that some breeders mark different ducklings.

6. Lund Poultry

Lund Poultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    Brooklyn, WI
    no, holes do not usually close up. I am not sure, but those look like toe punch holes ( a way to keep track of chicks, ducklings, goslings etc.) when they hatch. We do that with all of our chicks when we pull them out of the bator. It will NOT harm them in anyway. Good thing you rescued them.

7. duckluck

duckluck Dulcimyrh Ducks

Oct 22, 2009
    Illinois
    Ducks' feet and legs can peel naturally, just like we shed skin...especially when they are growing.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by