2 week old EE, concerned of chicks behavior..but maybe paranoid.

curlycropchics

Chirping
Mar 18, 2021
So we just got 14 babies two weeks ago.

Currently I have an EE with heavy breathing and falls asleep it seems on the spot. If I pick her up she does chirp and freak but then she calms and falls asleep like head flopped over. This was during a little out time of the brooder. We sit in the house in the sun and let them soak it up a little in groups.
I thought she was hot saw her beak open and wings out, took her out of the sun and held her she just fell asleep like on her side. I did give her electrolytes water by placing beak in water and made sure she drank some. I kept her to check her poop which I have attached to the thread nothing screaming out to me.
She is my more excitable and shy chicks.
I put her back in the brooder and she was excitable when I picked her up to put her back, in the brooder she is still breathing the same whole body movement breath, no beak open though. She is pecking around a little. She does stay under the brooder plate 24/7.
So I am just a little confused and hopefully just reading into it a little too much. Tia.

Attachments

• PXL_20220207_194353145.jpg
    PXL_20220207_194353145.jpg
    407.1 KB · Views: 28
Is she eating/drinking on her own?
Have you seen her eating/drinking?
Is her poop always that color/shape?
What are you feeding?
Is she keeping up with the rest?

Heavy breathing, is there any noise?
How are her eyes/nostrils, any liquids?

She probably was "sun bathing" = laying on side, wings spread out
Sounds like she maybe chilled ... Where are you located?
What's the temp in your brooder?

She is eating and drinking now
yes i have seen her eat and drink
her poop over last hour is about the same
she is on starter chick feed from blue seal
As far as rest, she is always under the brooder plate and seems to be dozing off

No noise when she breaths but you see the whole body move to get in nand out the breaths.
eyes and nostrils clear, checked her vent clear.

I thought she was bathing too but then the open mouth and wings got me scared but now that you mention it, sun bathing, yes my last batch used to do it outside.
I am in buffalo, NY. Got the brooder at a 90, about to take it down for their third week coming up. Their brooder is in my house if that is helpful.

Back
Top Bottom