2 Week Old King/Button Quail Mating!?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by MageofMist, Apr 29, 2017.

1. MageofMist

MageofMist Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 9, 2016
    Britain
    I have a batch of 4 King/Button quail chicks, and they are only 2 weeks old, so they are still little babies, and yet I heard an odd sound from the brooder. It sounded a LOT like the mating squeaks they do when, well, mating. I missed what was going on, so I started watching the little brooder to see just what was happening. Turns out, the second-born quail, the white/silver, is possibly a male as it tried mounting the first-born quail, Little Bee, who from the feathers is believed to be female. No idea if that means the white/silver one is male or if it is just a dominance thing, but my last batch of quail didn't do that and they were all males.

[​IMG]

They are the two at the front with the most feathers. I know they reach maturity in around 6 to 9 week of age, so this is EXTREMELY confusing to me!

Last edited: Apr 29, 2017
  2. MageofMist

Dec 9, 2016
    Britain
    No idea what is up with my post, but this is what I put:
    "I have a batch of 4 King/Button quail chicks, and they are only 2 weeks old, so they are still little babies, and yet I heard an odd sound from the brooder. It sounded a LOT like the mating squeaks they do when, well, mating. I missed what was going on, so I started watching the little brooder to see just what was happening. Turns out, the second-born quail, the white/silver, is possibly a male as it tried mounting the first-born quail, Little Bee, who from the feathers is believed to be female. No idea if that means the white/silver one is male or if it is just a dominance thing, but my last batch of quail didn't do that and they were all males.
    [​IMG]

They are the two at the front with the most feathers. I know they reach maturity in around 6 to 9 week of age, so this is EXTREMELY confusing to me!"

Last edited: Apr 29, 2017
  3. DK newbie

DK newbie Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2015
    That does sound very strange, being so young. I'd guess it's just a dominance thing, but I assume it could be a young male that's maturing very early. I wouldn't worry too much about it though.

4. MageofMist

Dec 9, 2016
    Britain
    Little Bee and the yellow one have been crowing, so it could just be one or the other matured earlier. I was afraid I'd need to separate the quail so Little Bee wouldn't start trying to lay eggs.

5. DK newbie

DK newbie Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2015
    I've never heard of one that young laying eggs, so I strongly doubt that's going to happen. Separation might keep a button from laying, but only because it's stressed, and that's unhealthy as well so I'd just leave her where she is.

6. MageofMist

Dec 9, 2016
    Britain
    I am leaving them together as I don't want to stress them out. I'd only separate them if there was a danger or if one ended up getting injured.

7. Binki

Binki Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2015
    Ontario, Canada
    Ugh, they're freakin' cute!!! [​IMG]

8. MageofMist

Dec 9, 2016
    Britain
    Indeed. I wish they were calmer and easier to handle. XD They do calm down after a bit of me holding them, which is how I managed to get the pic.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by