2 week old meatie dead

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by Farmettehopeful, Mar 16, 2012.

1. Farmettehopeful

Farmettehopeful Out Of The Brooder

Feb 23, 2012
    Johnstown, PA
    I had 7 meaties in my possession for 12 days now so they are approx. 2 weeks old. I had them outside in the tractor today since it was a sunny 70 degrees out and they seemed to do great. They were fluttering around, all spread out and just seemed happier than they are in the brooder. I put them back in their brooder around 2:30 since the clouds came out and I was leaving soon anyhow. I just come home at 7 and found one in the brooder, splayed out with beak open~dead. Could it be the stress of in and out today? Something else? Or just bad luck?!? I don't want to lose anymore since that is essentially money wasted and I don't want to make the same mistake with my layers I have either. Any thoughts or suggestions?

2. they'reHISchickens

they'reHISchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2008
    Reading
    In the tractor... were they grazing? I'd wonder if that one ate a bit too much grass or something else that didn't agree with him.
    Also, the meaties are reportedly a bit weak in the heart and it could even be a combination of things.
    I always think that there is a reason a hen sets on a dozen or more. Not every chick is destined to survive to adulthood and it isn't always about predation.
    JMO

3. Farmettehopeful

Feb 23, 2012
    Johnstown, PA
    Thanks for your input! They had their food in there with them and seemed to do some grazing too. I had given them chunks of grass/dirt before this outing so it wasn't really new to them. Is it normal for them to die on their bellies or could he maybe have gotten trampled on and suffocated?! They have plenty of room to move and he was dead next to the food container but maybe he was too lazy to get out of the hungry ones way?!? I have read a lot about deaths but am a little surprised I guess cause it's my first time and they seemed healthy to me.

4. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    It is probably nothing you did. Meat birds tend to be what I call a fragile bird. Their organs can't keep up with their fast growth and stress can get to them. :(

5. Farmettehopeful

Feb 23, 2012
    Johnstown, PA
    Thanks, that's what I'm hoping. Don't want anything contagious going around here!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by