2 week old meatie, pale, heavy breathing, limping... [pic added]

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by LindsayB, Mar 19, 2011.

1. LindsayB

LindsayB Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2008
    Cypress, Texas
    is it common for cornish crosses to die before butcher date? One of my 6 meaties started limping today and is now panting. its legs and face are not pink anymore, but pale. still eating though! ...is its heart starting to give out already??

Last edited: Mar 19, 2011
  2. LindsayB

Apr 26, 2008
    Cypress, Texas
    I didn't really know where to post this...I figured this section would have more people who knew about problems with meaties. [​IMG]

3. Robo

Robo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2010
    Knoxville,TN
    Can it stand or is it sort of scooting around? It could be injured or possibly it's growth was too rapid. Can you post a pic that might help a little...

4. LindsayB

Apr 26, 2008
    Cypress, Texas
    It will stand up and walk around, just limps on one leg. Its even eating still! I'm thinking maybe its growing too fast.

5. Robo

Jul 15, 2010
    Knoxville,TN
    Is his leg buckling when he walks or is he dragging it? Oh, and is the leg swollen or broken?

6. LindsayB

Apr 26, 2008
    Cypress, Texas
    here I'll go and take a picture... lol not really sure if it will help since you can't watch it walk though. theres no swelling, not broken. just not wanting to put all the weight on it.

7. LindsayB

Apr 26, 2008
    Cypress, Texas
    you can kinda see the difference in color in this chick's legs, compared to the one on the left.

[​IMG]

8. Robo

Jul 15, 2010
    Knoxville,TN
    Well I'm stumped, it could be a growth deficiency or an injury.

9. LindsayB

Apr 26, 2008
    Cypress, Texas
    guess I'll just wait and see what happens. I don't know if I'll be having cornish Xs again. maybe freedom rangers next time.

10. Heluerto

Heluerto Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2010
    Banbury, UK
    It looks a bit smaller than the others? I have what appears t be a 'runt' in my meats, and it keeps having problems, but three weeks old, and apart from being about half the size of the others, and struggling to open one of it's eyes, it seems happy enough and eating plenty etc.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by