2 week old Polish chicks... PICS!

wanda047

Songster
10 Years
Mar 26, 2009
Hardy, Arkansas
These are just 3 of my polish chicks which hatched 2 weeks ago. They have already discovered their wings and started flying out of their brooder yesterday.
barnie.gif

I'm not really sure that polish are a breed that I'm going to really like. Is everybody's polish as un-friendly as mine? Even the two older ones I have (3 months old) run at the sight of me!

How soon before I'll know which are male and female??
26140_fonzi2-2wk-polish.jpg
26140_nugent-2wk-polish.jpg
26140_chip-2wk-polish.jpg

Last edited:
Well, actually, my daughter just pointed out that I put the wrong name on that chicken! ha ha... That is actually Nugent. I'm fixing to edit the original posting and correct that. In fact, my daughter told me that I'd better post a photo of her polish too so guess I'll be adding a couple more photos.

At my daughter's request... here's a couple more photos of our polish chicks...

26140_sara-grissom.jpg
26140_itty-itty-2wk.jpg
26140_loud-mouth-2wk.jpg

I'm hoping that Itty-Bitty comes out of that "ugly" stage, cause she's about the ugliest chicken I ever saw!!

Our older Polish aren't that skittish and calm down after you hold them for a few moments but our polish chicks are EXTREMELY skittish...I expect them to be more calm though when they reach cockerel and pullet age though (they're still in the brooder).

-Anna

You'll have to do some SERIOUS socializing if you want to make them tame. As adults they'll be even worse, when they're at the point you aren't even able to catch them. Work hard now that they are small and more easily-convincable that you aren't a harm to them.

My girls are very friendly.
smile.png
My adult is a very social bird that follows my feet and I love her to death. She has restricted vision and when she hears me, will stop whatever she is doing to fly over and bump into my legs.
lol.png
My chicks weren't very social at first but after some enticing with a little scratch and fruit, they warmed up to me.

Also, be aware of how you hold them. Scoop them up very slowly once they start come closer. Don't grab or pick them up from above unless necessary. It would be their natural instinct to fight it and run away because that is how predators would grab them. Remember: slowly and carefully.

Now they pace around the brooder waiting for my check-up each morning.

Back
Top Bottom