2 week old pullets - Can you tell anything by color? Silver Laced Cochin or Blue Cochin?

LouNeo

In the Brooder
Jun 9, 2016
Wilmington NC
We bought 2 hens from a breeder, they were still fertile from the breed matched roosters there. So we incubated a few eggs and hatched 3. All 3 are the same breed, I just dont know if they are Blue Cochin or Silver Laced Cochin. The first photo is probably the most try to color. They look bluish Gray but do have black in their wings, white chest / butt, but dont have any of the lacing starting yet. I know chickens drastically change colors when they are young but I thought id ask if there was any way to tell them apart at a younger age between the 2 breeds.

Thoughts or just wait it out? Thank you!

I'm not good at telling color. By what breeder did you get them from? I'm looking for some more SQ blue Cochins but there are not a lot of breeders

What color were the parents? And what color were the chicks when they were just a few days old? I have a silver laced cochin and she had little white stripes when she was that old.

The Breeder is a local woman in Goldsboro NC. I visited her location and saw her setup where she had them segregated by breeds 1 rooster per 4-5 hens and I bought one of her laying hens from 2 of the breeds she had. Id love to see some pics of your frizzle cochins if you are willing to share, please message me. I picked up a Frizzle hen and will be grabbing a frizzle rooster in a couple days. I was hoping to breed my cochins with the rooster and wasnt sure what to expect. Im doing it for myself and just for fun and am just getting started with it all.

In regards to having black chicks, I would typically agree with you except if you actually look at them now, they are not black chicks.. they are bluish gray currently. Im just unsure how it would make sense for them to start black, go gray, then go black again. But im learning so who knows.

That part I was aware of. The male and female frizzle will be kept separate or I will just not hatch her eggs. I appreciate the warning. I was told them make frazzles

Back
Top Bottom