2 week old runner mix and KC(?) with impacted crops?!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Duckymomlol, Apr 6, 2017.

1. Duckymomlol

Duckymomlol Out Of The Brooder

Apr 6, 2017
    Texas
    I originally picked a Rouen and a runner mix up from the feed store and went back for 2 KC's I spotted. One of the KC's I chose because she was smallest (hoping for a female [​IMG]) unfortunately she just likes eating weird stuff. The runner and the smaller KC' are not eating as well, not growing as quickly, and their crops are significantly harder than the other two, full and/or empty. They were on pine shavings until I caught the small KC choking on a piece. They are now on pee pads until they learn to eat their feed. How do I clear the impaction? How long can they go without feed? I'm afraid to take it overnight with them being so young? I've been massaging but it's only been a day and I'm paranoid! They're eating, drinking and running I just want to head thugs off before it they start getting sick.

2. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

Buy grit for them....Ducklings need grit...:)

Best wishes...

Cheers!

1 person likes this.
  3. Duckymomlol

Apr 6, 2017
    Texas
    I've been giving them grit in their feed and sprinkling on their floor of their brooder. It's not bad but their crop is hard and doesn't swell as much after eating like the other two. Their growth is lagging and they're not as voracious eating as they were when we first got them. Could it just be pine that will pass? I'm afraid to take the food overnight to make sure they pass it. [​IMG]

4. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

You do not need grit everyday....Free choice is the common practice.....Not in the feed...:)

Feed out at all times..Water deep enough to dunk their heads......

A wet soupy mix of feed is easier for young Ducklings to eat.....Feed some tomato and peas in a bowl of water.....;)

5. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    if they are eating and other wise acting normal maybe they don't have a crop problem can you post some pics..They should have feed and water 24/7 till around 5 weeks old that is when they need alot of nutrients for all the growing they are doing. and don't put grit in their feed they may eat too much. Just sprinkle onto the peep pads.
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/750869/raising-and-caring-for-ducklings#post_10611711

Last edited: Apr 7, 2017
  6. Duckymomlol

Apr 6, 2017
    Texas

The littlest KC is just not thriving like the others and today I noticed she has brown watery diarrhea. The others all have normal droppings. :(

7. Duckymomlol

Apr 6, 2017
    Texas
    [​IMG]
    My littlest KC. Not the brightest crayon

8. Duckymomlol

Apr 6, 2017
    Texas
    [​IMG]
    The two on the left have those nice full crops. The two on the right are my runner mix and my little KC. This is after gorging themselves their crops just don't look as full and feel harder than the other two. I know the Rouen should be bigger but the KC on the left is the same age.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2017
  9. Duckymomlol

Apr 6, 2017
    Texas
    [​IMG] my runner and little KC

10. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    What feed are you using again? They all have clear eyes and don't look sick I need to show you what my Runners look like at that age. You'd have thought I was staving them they are so thin, they don't have to have bulging crops to be healthy. Do you see them eating often?

they are just 2 weeks old here but look at their crops they look empty

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 8, 2017

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by