2 week old runt- please help!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by CowgirlMama, Apr 16, 2011.

1. CowgirlMama

CowgirlMama Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2011
    Baker City, Oregon
    I have a 2 week old BR that is A LOT smaller than the rest of chicks I got at the same time (same age). S/he seems lethargic. I cleaned the brooder this morning, and noticed him (been watching for a few days). I put him back in first and set him in front of the feeder and he was chowing down. As soon as I put the rest in, he was pushed away from the feeder. He doesn't run from my hand when I try to catch him. I have set up another makeshift brooder (Rubbermaid tub- great idea I got from BYCer's!) and put him by himself. I tried to put another chick with him, but the other chick would have NONE of it- cried non-stop! The BR doesn't seem to mind that hes by himself. I gave him food and water and put him by the feeder (he doesn't seem to want to move much on his own) and he ate, but he wouldn't drink. I've been giving the chicks electrolytes and apple cider vinegar in their water. Should I give him some sugar water? If so, what's the sugar/water ratio?

2. Yay Chicks!

Yay Chicks! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    Quote:I understand the urge to separate this chick to take care of it...and I'm also concerned that since he/she is obviously at the bottom of the pecking order if it will get worse when you return him. I only gave plain water at this age. Sorry, I'm not much help. [​IMG] Hope the little one gets better.

3. CowgirlMama

Feb 23, 2011
    Baker City, Oregon
    Yay Chicks! :

Quote:I understand the urge to separate this chick to take care of it...and I'm also concerned that since he/she is obviously at the bottom of the pecking order if it will get worse when you return him. I only gave plain water at this age. Sorry, I'm not much help. [​IMG] Hope the little one gets better.

Thanks. I'm a little concerned as well, but if its sick, I don't want it spreading... and I want him to be able to get food and water if the bigger chicks aren't letting him get it. I've only noticed him the last couple days... the other chicks are growing so fast! And when I picked him up today to clean the brooder I noticed just how much smaller he is...​

4. CowgirlMama

Feb 23, 2011
    Baker City, Oregon
    He seems to be "sleepy"... and stays pretty much where I put him. [​IMG] Anyone have ideas?!

5. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    Sounds like the chick may be a "failure to thrive". This means that there is likely something wrong with it that hasn't manifested itself, yet. If the bird is just smaller because it is low on the pecking order, then adding a second feeder to the brooder may help alleviate the pressure on this little bird at feed times. Usually when one bird is much smaller than its coop mates, it means that there is likely a problem with the bird, though. I wouldn't be overly surprised if this one doesn't make it.

I wouldn't be giving electrolytes to these birds. Electrolytes are fine short term when a bird is ailing (wounded, dehydrated, ill with diarrhea, suffering from shock), but electrolytes consist of salt and sugar. Salt is not great for chickens long term. Plain water should be fine for them. ACV- I wouldn't use it at this age, but I don't think it should hurt either way. I don't know that sugar water would be of any benefit to this bird. Sugar water is used to treat shock, but this bird hasn't had anything to be shocky about. The bird sounds like it is just not thriving like the other birds. Sometimes that happens.

Good luck.

6. CowgirlMama

Feb 23, 2011
    Baker City, Oregon
    CMV- thanks! That was my thought too... I'm hoping not- hoping he just needs a little feed and water... I have a large feeder in the brooder, with plenty of room. And I will stop giving the electrolytes! Thanks [​IMG]

7. KatyTheChickenLady

KatyTheChickenLady Bird of A Different Feather

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    doesn't sound sick just smaller & weaker.
    You can try to boost it's vigor sometimes it works, but usually the runt dies off in the end.
    put it back in with the others, but feed seperately several times a day. give some crumbled boiled egg yolk with its feed and put PolyViSol in it's water. I would even give it a few drops straight in its beak to start, this usually has an amazingly fast result of increased vitality.

8. CowgirlMama

Feb 23, 2011
    Baker City, Oregon
    Do I just make a regular hard boiled egg and give him the yolk? Where would I get the PolyViSol and what exactly is it? Thanks [​IMG]

9. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    Poly-Vi-Sol is infant vitamins and can be picked up at any drugstore. Make sure to get the kind without iron. And just regular egg.

10. definetlydeb

definetlydeb Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2007
    Tioga/Potter County
    Yup, I have one of those lil' runts in my new peep flock, and I to thought that there was something wrong with it, sleepy, kinda staying off to itself...I didn't separate though, I just kept the ole' momma hawk eye on her, finally about 3 weeks it started acting normal, it is still smaller, but does everything that the bigger ones do. For fact, I was afraid she wouldn't be able to get on the roost with others, Oh no, not this lil' one...she is doing better on most when it comes to gettin on the perch!!! Good luck and I don't know much about it, but I would kinda fear separating him and then trying to get them to accept him....I honestly have no clue, but I do know that I tried that when I had my chickens (years ago) and it didn't go so well!! Best wishes and I am sure you will get the knowledge and experience you need from others...BYC is the bestest!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by