2 week old SexLink Male or Female?

I still say they are production reds rather than red sex links. And if so, still way too early to properly determine their sex.

Ok thank you and I'm just going by what the sign and the lady who worked there told me. There's just the two of the sex links that their tails are growing slower but yes I agree to early
1f60a.png

Quote:
There are numerous mistakes made at TSC and other feed stores who get hatchery shipments and whose staff knows nothing about chickens. Some are even mislabeled from the hatchery. I have had more than one argument about someone who had a shipment full of Barred Rocks but marked them "Domineckers" (seriously, not even Dominiques, just the slang term). She refused to believe me even when I told her I had bred the BRs for years and showed her the difference in the Breeds book sitting next to the brooder.

First time I've ever purchased chicks from them and I'm thinking your right about them having really no knowledge in chicks. I'm happy so far with them and they are healthy if one turns out to be a roo then I'll deal with it. I'm learning a lot lately about breeds lol

I am glad that you are happy with them. Some of the best chickens come from surprises.

My nephew JUST surprised me with a "present" from TSC. Apparently he and my sister went in to look at chicks and they had a really pathetic little Silkie in there. Runny eyes, a pasty bum, and outer toes fused so badly he's walking on tiptoes. The others were picking on him relentlessly. She couldn't leave it there to die and despite him being on his last leg they wouldn't just let her buy the one. They have rules, you know? So I now have SIX more WHITE hatchery Silkies. I laughed at my sister. She said, "I am not a farmer!". lol

If it's a sexlink,you can tel at any age...

You cannot tell a black sex link cockerel from a BR cockerel as a small chick. You have to wait until they are older. If it's 100% certain that it is a sex link, you can tell which is which, but sometimes, they throw BRs in with the sex links and those you can't tell apart until later.

Last edited:
agreed on everything posted. i have a local feed store that i get my chicks from, the owner is there everyday and has been for years, he has always been on the money labeling his chicks, if i were you find a backwoods hole in the wall feed store and get you some chicks

All the girls feathers are coming in and they are all beautiful I'll will try and get some pics uploaded on here tomorrow. I do have an Instagram and my user name is HenHappiness if any is interested in seeing all my girls I post daily
1f60a.png
and thank you for all your replies it's helping me learn about all the different breeds

Your situation looks like the same as mine. We went and got four chicks and this little one on the right looked a lot different. We figured that she is a speckled sussex put in the wrong brooder because they had Sussex chicks there at the same time for sale too.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom