2 week old Silkie chick with "mom" has runny eyes

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ninena102, Nov 15, 2014.

1. ninena102

ninena102 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 3, 2014
    I have 2 two and half week old Silkie chicks that my Blue Silkie hatched out. The 1st was hatched on Nov. 1st and the 2nd one hatched out on Nov. 3rd. I went out to their chicken coop (Concrete building with heat, to keep the chill out), and when I was taking care of chores, I noticed that the 2 chicks were getting patches of color on their bodies and color around the edges of one chick's eyes. They were both up and eating, alongside their momma. When I went back in to check on them again about 4 hours later, I noticed the one of the chicks looked like it was squinting.. I went to get a closer look and when I picked it up, it wasn't color from its body, but a matted mess of down feathers. One eye was about closed all the way. I noticed that the chick also had watery eyes.

I knew that I would have to treat the baby, so I brought it, the sis/bro, and the hen into the house, (I did not want to separate them).

I put them in an extra large dog crate that I taped cardboard all around the sides. The mother laid right down and the one chick went right under her.

I had to examine the other chick to see what was wrong with its eyes. So I did a little first aid. I ran warm water from the facet and with a clean, white washcloth, I began to bathe the chick around its eyes. It turned out to be bits of chick crumbles stuck in the down feathers around the eyes. It took about 10 minutes to complete the cleansing. Thank goodness, both eyes became wide open once I finished cleaning around them. it is not coughing, sneezing, or wheezing, and has no runny nose.

Since I stressed them out this evening and I'm not really sure what I'm dealing with, I added the sav-a-chick probiotics. (on second thought, I don't guess they need the probiotics, right?),

What I think happened, was that the other chicks, along with their "moms' were scratching around the pine shavings and kicked some feed into the eyes of the chick. I think this made the chick's eyes water. The combination of feed and watery eyes clumped the down feathers into a matted mess. (At least, that is what I am hoping), I don't want to think respiratory issue.. NOTE: I have 2 other hens, along with their chicks "8" in the same "baby" section of my chicken coop. Not one of them has any health issues, nor are they showing any symptoms.

In my small arsenal of medications, I just have VetX, Nutri-Drench, and sav-a-chick electrolytes and its probiotics. I also have Polyvisol vitamins without iron (infants).

It's been around mid 20's at night and in the 30's for a daytime high. I want to put them back in their chicken coop as soon as possible, but at the same time, I want to wait to make sure that the chick is not coming down with something.

How many days should I wait to see if any more symptoms show up? I don't want the chickens to be in the house any longer than necessary because they have become acclimated to the colder temperatures inside their outdoor coop.

2. sweetmoney1

sweetmoney1 New Egg

Apr 22, 2014
    if it does not get better within a day i would ask a vet. they could have a diease or they could loose their sight if not treated properly. hope this helps.

i wish you the best.

3. ninena102

ninena102 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 3, 2014
    So far so good. Its eyes are cleared with no drainage or ill effects of me cleansing around its eyes. I think the chick just got debris in both eyes, thank goodness its not anything more serious. Thank you for your reply. I will continue to keep a close eye on it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by