1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

2 week old Silver Laced Wyandotte with single comb (pictures)

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by shadowmane, Mar 15, 2012.

1. shadowmane

shadowmane Chillin' With My Peeps

Okay, all the others have a flat spot where the comb is supposed to be right now. But one has a little yellow single comb sticking up. This is an Ideal Poultry bird bought from the local feed store. I have 7 of them (plus 7 Americaunas and a Sex Link), and this is the only one with a comb. Could this be a rooster or just a cross breed?

[​IMG]

Notice the single comb, with some red feathering on the head. In comparison, I have another picture of Sophie, another SLW from this batch.

[​IMG]

Is it a rooster, or just an anomoly? Do SLW's get a comb at 2 weeks old?

2. ksacres

ksacres At Your Service

Nov 16, 2007
    San Antonio TX
    That chickie has a single comb, it will not magically turn into the correct (rose) comb. It's possible that it was accidently mixed in the the group. What other breeds were they offering?

3. Sphinx

Sphinx Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2010
    Utah
    Occasionally, wyandottes will throw a chick with a single comb. Even two show quality birds with impeccable lines will do that occasionally.

I hatched 5 blue laced red wyandotte eggs from great lines. Four have rose combs, one has a single comb.

1 person likes this.
  4. ksacres

ksacres At Your Service

Nov 16, 2007
    San Antonio TX
    The other chick looks to have dark feet and also seems to be a different color pattern. That is why I asked about available breeds.

5. shadowmane

Both chicks have the same colored feet. Kind of an grayish-orange coloration. They're all from Ideal Poultry, so they're not exactly show quality.

6. CowgirlJules

CowgirlJules Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2010
    Atwater, CA
    It happens occasionally in Wyandottes. My breeder line SLWs have popped out a couple this year, and one of my BLRWs. I'll just sell those birds as laying hens if they're female, eat them if they're male.

7. shadowmane

I was joking with the wife tonight that we should try to find a single comb SLW rooster and try to specifically breed SLW's with the single comb. Could be the beginning of a new breed of chicken... but only in our dreams.

8. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Well, it wouldn't be too hard to find, they crop up pretty regular. More with hatchery stock, but I've read rose combs are linked to lower fertility so breeders cross a straight comb bird back in every so often to keep fertility up. But don't tell the poor rose combed rooster he's not getting it done, that would hurt his feelings lol.

1 person likes this.
  9. Joe.G

Joe.G Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2011
    Eastern NY
    My Week old SLW has a yellow single comb popping up, my other does not, Is this the sign of a rooster?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by