2 Week old Silver Wyandotte not eating

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Artifact, Dec 9, 2012.

1. Artifact

Artifact New Egg

Dec 9, 2012
    We have 3 two-week old chicks - 1 buff orpington, 1 ameracauna and 1 silver wyandotte. We have had them all for a week now, purchased from a local breeder.

The wyandotte has been the slowest growing all along and is much smaller than the other two (the buff is by far the biggest). The first day or so the wyandotte had what looked like a little blood in her stool, but she was eating and overall seemed happy. That cleared up after the first day and she has seemed fine, just smaller than the others.

This morning she had separated herself from the others and is not eating or moving around much, just sitting in one spot. The temperature has stayed between 85 and 88 - the other two seem fine.

I am setting up a second box for her now, but I am hoping someone can help with thoughts?

Anything specific I should try first or look for?

I will put a call in to the breeder this morning, but it is early on a Sunday, so don't think they will get back to me until later today.

Thanks!

Last edited: Dec 9, 2012
  2. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Sounds like cocci. I recommend that you purchase corid 9.6% liquid solution at your feed store, it'll be in the cattle section. Dosage is 9.5cc's per gallon of water for 5-7 days. Use an eyedropperful of the liquid and put the drops on the side of her beak to swallow (if she's not drinking.) Do this at least 5-6 times a day until she's able to drink the liquid on her own.

3. Artifact

Artifact New Egg

Dec 9, 2012
    As a follow up, I did get in touch with the breeder and took the chick to them. Overall they felt she looked fine for size and were not concerned about the cocci. The biggest concern was the lack of eating (although we could feel food in her gullet) - they were mixed in the prognosis - maybe nothing, but her not having eaten all day was very concerning, so they felt it may actually be a digestive tract issue as well, in which case there would have been nothing we could do - in the end, I left that chick with them to watch and took a different chick (same breed).

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by