2 week olds, bloody poo

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Tracyree, Aug 4, 2011.

1. Tracyree

Tracyree Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2011
    I have a few 2 1/2 week olds and saw two bloody poos in the brooder today. They are on unmedicated feed as I was trying to do this organically. They've never been on dirt besides for about 3 minutes yesterday.

Only other thing out of the ordinary is that my son gave them a few mealworms yesterday as well.

Should I go ahead and treat for cocci? I'm assuming the corid will have directions for such young chicks?

2. greenkjb

greenkjb Out Of The Brooder

Aug 13, 2010
    Hi there. Is there a lot of blood? How many chicks do you have? Are they having any other symptoms? Lethargy, not eating/drinking, eyes closed, etc. If they are obviously sick and having bloody stools I would treat them with corrid asap. I'm not sure if the dosages are different for younger chicks, but I do know the liquid corrid is 2 teaspoons per gallon...

3. PtldChick

PtldChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2011
    Portland, OR
    Dosage in water is the same, the amount of medication is controlled by how much water they drink - bigger chickens drink more water.

I have Corid 9.6% and my bottle says 16 oz treats 100 gallons. 16/100 = ~1/6... so 1/6 oz for 1 gallon.

An ounce is two tablespoons, or six teaspoons. So 1 teaspoon per gallon of water.

In chicks that young, if you have any other symptoms, treat them fast - lethargy, standing still while others are active, fluffed up feathers, head pulled in, head drooping, etc. They can head downhill pretty quickly when so young.

Good luck!

4. greenegglover

greenegglover Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2009
    Indiana
    Im in my 2nd year of being owned by chickens. I wanted to go organic to, but I've read some of the stories about cocci.....not good outcomes. I feed medicated starter feed now for at least 2 weeks! It should be out of there systems before they lay eggs. I couldnt imagine losing my babies to anything....do some research and make a decision that works for you. Now that their sick they your medicating anyway....just saying... not judging. I hope your babies make it!

5. Saltysteele

Saltysteele Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    MI
    well, you can stay organic and lose the chickens, unless someone knows of an organic cocci medication (don't think so, though). herein lies why organic food is more expensive - higher costs for feed, higher animal loss.

or you can feed them medicated feed and fix the problems.

i'd say, give them medicated feed [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 5, 2011
  6. Tracyree

Tracyree Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2011
    So they are acting fine and I put paper towels over the shavings today and no blood. There were only two poos with blood that I saw yesterday. So now I'm confused.

If I see blood again, I'll go ahead and traetbthem (I picked uonthe corid)

As for organic feed costing more because of higher animal loss... That's a bit of a stretch, no? Just said I was trying to raise them organically, not that I was all or nothing about it. I am totally fine treating them if need be, just want to feed them organic when I can.

7. remuda1

remuda1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2011
    Granbury, Texas
    Hi Tracy, you might do a search on this site for cecal poo. That may have been what you saw, if so (hopefully) it's normal. Good luck with it and I think corid is probably a good thing to have on hand even if you don't have to use it this time. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.

8. greenkjb

greenkjb Out Of The Brooder

Aug 13, 2010
    Tracyree,
    So glad they seem fine. I had a chick come down with cocci recently and we thought she was a goner for sure! Thanks to the corrid she did make a full recovery though.!!! FYI, she was on medicated feed too. I learned that by no means does medicated feed prevent cocci, just helps them build immunity. I can't wait to switch to organic layer crumble once they are older [​IMG]
    Take care.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by