2 week poult with broken leg

Butterflies72

In the Brooder
May 8, 2020
Hegins, Pa
I have a 2 week old poult with what appears to have a broken leg. We noticed it was hobbling on one foot and the joint is swollen. I have splinted it's little leg and have it separated from our other poults.

How long should it's leg be splinted?
It is getting around the enclosure and eating and drinking.

Should I keep it alone? Or should I have another poult with it?

I have a 2 week old poult with what appears to have a broken leg. We noticed it was hobbling on one foot and the joint is swollen. I have splinted it's little leg and have it separated from our other poults.

How long should it's leg be splinted?
It is getting around the enclosure and eating and drinking.

Should I keep it alone? Or should I have another poult with it?
What variety of turkey? Is it a broad breasted variety? Are you sure it is broke or is it perosis? Perosis can be caused insufficient niacin and thiamine in the feed. Broad breasted turkeys are particularly susceptible to it when being raised on chick starter rather than a proper high protein turkey or game bird starter.

What variety of turkey? Is it a broad breasted variety? Are you sure it is broke or is it perosis? Perosis can be caused insufficient niacin and thiamine in the feed. Broad breasted turkeys are particularly susceptible to it when being raised on chick starter rather than a proper high protein turkey or game bird starter.
Thank you for your reply.

I do not know what breed of turkey. It was part of a variety we received.

I have 6 others that we received in the same shipment that display no problems.

Attachments

• 20200719_143807.jpg
    20200719_143807.jpg
    510.4 KB · Views: 12
  • 20200719_143834.jpg
    20200719_143834.jpg
    411.8 KB · Views: 11
  • 20200719_144027.jpg
    20200719_144027.jpg
    644.9 KB · Views: 11
  • 20200719_144042.jpg
    20200719_144042.jpg
    500.1 KB · Views: 11
Thank you for your reply.

I do not know what breed of turkey. It was part of a variety we received.

I have 6 others that we received in the same shipment that display no problems.
It is either a slipped tendon (likely) or a dislocated joint.

In the second picture, there is a groove directly above the right index finger of the person holding the poult. The tendon is above the second finger and needs to be manipulated back into that groove. You will need to straighten the leg to get the tendon to relax and move it back into the proper position. The hard part is finding a way to bandage it so that it remains in place.

Providing a solution of vitamin B complex made at the rate of 1/2 capsule or tablet dissolved in one gallon of water will provide the niacin and thiamine necessary for the joint to heal properly. Make it the only source of water. It should be made fresh daily. Use it for all of your poults.

It is my opinion that you do have BBW turkeys.

Back
Top Bottom