1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

2 weeks different in age, will they get along?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by vjbakke, Apr 8, 2011.

1. vjbakke

vjbakke Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2011
    MN
    If we order more they will be about 2 weeks younger than the ones we currently have. I know they will need seperate brooders, but will they get along when we put the two groups together? We want to order some Dominique hens, we currently have golden buffs.

Thanks

2. vjbakke

Mar 21, 2011
    MN
    I just order 2 Dominique females and 1 Meyer meal maker free female chick. Our chicks now were hatched on April 4th, The new order should arrive April 12-14. Is this age difference a big deal?

3. pixiedouglas

pixiedouglas Chillin' With My Peeps

I dont know about putting 1 day olds in with 2 wk olds, but I put some 2 wk olds in with my 1 wk olds with no problem whatsoever. The 1 wk olds outnumbered the 2 wk olds, and it probably didn't hurt that the 2 wk olds were Faverolles. My Easter Egger still bosses them around like no ones business even though they are both bigger than her.

4. Celtic Chick

Celtic Chick Overrun With Chickens

Apr 7, 2011
    SE Wis
    As chicks, they definitely need separate brooders for the difference in heat requirements.
    Also, whenever you put strange chickens together, there are going to be brawls. They have a pecking order and there is nothing you can do to avoid it, unfortunately. They are going to fight, but it will not last. Once the pecking order is established, they should all get along more or less. Unless you have roosters. [​IMG]
    The best rule to follow is to introduce chickens when they are all relatively the same size. That way there is not much of a weight/size advantage.
    And never put chicks in with strange adults.
    Hope this helps!

5. vjbakke

Mar 21, 2011
    MN
    I got everything today for the 2nd brooder. I think I might wait a week or so with the new ones then see how they get along? The older ones will go in the coop first. I beleive the Dominique's will be a little lager as adults than the golden buffs, then there will be one" mystery chick". I'll have to take pics and try to figure out what it is!

6. FMAFarms

FMAFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2011
    Rural Michigan
    Your Buff Orpingtons should be bigger than your Dominiques. Orpingtons are one of the largest breeds of chicken. They are also known for their docility, both towards humans and towards other chicken breeds. Last week, we put our two week olds (28 of them) together with our four week olds (8 of them) and after a day or two of sorting out the pecking order, everyone is fine and dandy and snuggling down or roosting together. And we have lots of different breeds going. You should be fine, but I would wait until your new chicks are 1 week old to their 3 weeks, or 2 weeks old to their 4 weeks.

7. vjbakke

Mar 21, 2011
    MN
  8. Dannee

Dannee Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2011
    Reno, Nevada
    I have a 4 week old Plymouth Rock and last week introduced two new Cochins...she hates them and I separated her and put her back in and she still hates them. The rest of the flock is fine with them. I don't know what to do other that give her away? Let me know your thoughts...bye the way I am raising a friends flock as well put her in with them and she is fine...two of their babies are the same age as mine......big ??????.....dont know what to do....

9. bucket04

bucket04 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 30, 2011
    Falcon, Colorado
    Not seasoned in this, but..... I got 3 day-olds last week and put them in the same brooder as my 3 week olds. I gave them an area cornered off from the bigger ones using a cardboard frame with saran wrap as a window, set kitty-corner so that the big ones couldn't get in, but the little ones could run back and forth all they wanted. (They had their own food and water behind the barrier too.) The first day the babies mostly stayed put in their area, but would come out when 'safe'. They've been in there a week now and all of them get along fine and eat from the same dishes. I will be adding my new day olds to the main brooder after they figure out food and water completely.
    I think it is possible, as long as you watch them closely and make changes as needed. I used a LOT of duct tape getting the barrier just right. [​IMG]

10. Heckel's Hens

Heckel's Hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2011
    Southern VA
    Not an expert, but I put my day olds in with my 2 week odls. They are exactly 16 days apart. Started them off in the same brooder with a wire mesh down the middle to separate them for one day, then watched them as they integrated. A few babies were stepped on mildly, but they quickly learned how to avoid the older chicks. No serious pecking. They are 4 and 6 weeks old now and still live happily together.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by