2 WEEKS NO EGGS? Why?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by coolmind1999, Aug 7, 2013.

1. coolmind1999

coolmind1999 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2013
    My silkie hen started laying egg 2 1/2 weeks ago and then after laying 11 eggs about every day an egg she stopped first I didn't panic
    Later that night I saw she was sitting like a broody hen
    I put normal refrigerated eggs under her and she spent the whole night on um the next day she led the eggs even after a week she wouldn't lay eggs nor go on the eggs
    I suspected she was sick but no sign of weakness coughing or any other symptoms
    My question is
    Should she not being laying eggs for about almost 2 weeks?
    Is it ok?

2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Eggs come and go with chickens. They lay when they lay. If she acts healthy I wouldn't worry.

The "broody bantams" especially can start and stop laying all the time...if you are really dependent on eggs you might get the sex link chickens or leghorns.

If it were me I'd be saying "Oh look we got a whole bunch of eggs from our silkie!"

Any stress or heat wave or anything pretty much can trigger a stop in laying or a slowdown.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2013
  3. coolmind1999

Apr 4, 2013
    Oh thank goodness
    I don't need eggs just wondering if she might be hurt I've heard some eggs get stuck etc
    It's been raining lately so maybe that triggered her?

4. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

If she became eggbound you should see some sign of a problem, like walking like a penguin, obvious discomfort or illness-look.

I don't think raining would do it...but you never know...any stressor even rearranging things in the coop.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2013
  5. coolmind1999

Apr 4, 2013
    Um no difficulty walking no illness sign ...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by