1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

2 weeks of seerching i found my birds

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by ashtray, Feb 22, 2009.

1. ashtray

ashtray Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2009
    Staunton VA
    i finally found some chickens for my new coop [​IMG] ,,4 silver wyandottes and a 4 buff orpingtons . how can i tell the male from the female birds at 4 months old ? going pick them up on friday

2. Lollipop

Lollipop Chillin' With My Peeps

Ohhh, at 4 mos the males will have red faces. The girls may not as they usually color up just before they start to lay. The roosters will have slightly larger combs and the saddle feathers(on their backs, just ahead of the tail) will have sharp points as apposed to being rounded. That should help.

3. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    I take it you changed your mind about my hens and I can sell them to someone else along with the RIR rooster?

4. ashtray

Feb 15, 2009
    Staunton VA
    you did not receive my pm??

5. ashtray

Feb 15, 2009
    Staunton VA
    looks like i will be passsing on these birds as well ... i received a pm on another site warning that the birds i wanted to buy had mites .. the seller never meationed that when i first talked to her . After i found out about the mites i called the seller back and they admitted the birds have mites .

. i gave up on searching and ordered 8 chicks from meyers today.... 2 rir, 2 slw, 2 buff orpingtons and 2 ameraucanas they should be here March 11th or 12th . i really did not want chicks but my niece talked me into it [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 26, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by