2 Weeks Old.... Already a Roo???

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by DragonEggs, Jul 6, 2010.

1. DragonEggs

DragonEggs Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2010
    Borger, TX
    I got 2 GLW about a week and a half ago. They were about 3 days old when I got them. One was darker than the other but I didn't think anything of it. After about a week of having them I noticed the darker one was feathering out differently and had a different attitude. A few days later I noticed it's already developing a huge comb! It's legs don't look any thicker but I figured I'd post pics and get the BYC community's advice. What do you think?

2 weeks. Look at that comb!
    [​IMG]

You can see it's darker and the wing feathering is different.
    [​IMG]

This is the other chick. MUCH smaller comb.
    [​IMG]

The other chick is much lighter and feathering out normal. You can see the lacing clearly.
    [​IMG]

2. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Looks like a little boy....

3. DragonEggs

May 11, 2010
    Borger, TX
    Yep, thats what I was afraid of.....

4. DragonEggs

May 11, 2010
    Borger, TX
    Anyone else?

5. macmama

macmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2010
    Gilbert AZ
    I had a SLW that had a comb like that before 2 weeks-- he's most DEFINITELY a boy. I have a few iffy chicks and one definite pullet, but there's no questioning his gender.
    2 weeks:
    [​IMG]

5 weeks:
    [​IMG]

6. DragonEggs

May 11, 2010
    Borger, TX
    Ah crap... I am SO UNLUCKY!!! The other one's comb is noticably bigger today but still not as big as the first one... My luck every chick I get is gonna be a boy.......

7. macmama

macmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2010
    Gilbert AZ
    LOL-- that's how I'm feeling right now! I have 5 SLWs, and I'm only sure ONE of them is a girl. I also have 2 Dels and 2 LBs, and I'm suspicious of ALL of them! I have to find out sooner rather than later-- if I wait for the "crow" test, my stealthy backyard chickening career will be over. [​IMG]

8. DragonEggs

May 11, 2010
    Borger, TX
    LoL. All the feed stores I buy from order pullets from hatcheries. The hatcheries only gaurantee a 90% sexing and all the feed stores policies are "Once you buy it, it's your problem" so unfortunatly I'll be stuck with roosters. I ordered 2 st. run BLRW and 2 SLW pullets that will be here in about a week. My luck both those BLRW and one of the SLW will be males, leaving me with 2 females out of 6 and 4 roosters to rehome (I couldn't send them to freezer camp). I could get by with keeping the one I have if the next 4 are girls.... thats a big if though. If one of those BLRW turns out to be a boy he takes priority over the GLW.

I REALLY REALLY REALY REALLY x a MILLION HOPE the next 4 are GIRLS!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by