2 weeks old and facing off...

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by SarahIrl, Jul 7, 2010.

1. SarahIrl

SarahIrl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2010
    West Cork, Ireland
    I have a silver laced brahma (should be a pullet) and a buff orpington chick regularly rushing at each other, heads held high, wings slightly out, and pecking each others faces. Are these both boys to be doing this? They stretch up as high as they can and bam! Thing is, the brahma should be a pullet, not a roo. The buff orps, I have no idea yet if boys or girls.

2. FRlEDeggs

FRlEDeggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2010
    Mine do the same
    I think it's just a peck order thing

3. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    All chicks do the chest bumping, flying at each other, kung fu thing, regardless of gender. It's how they work out the details of the pecking order.
    I have adult hens that can fight so bad they put roosters to shame.

4. SarahIrl

SarahIrl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2010
    West Cork, Ireland
    Thank goodness, I was getting worried. I had four silver laced brahmas hatch, and there were two roos and two hens. I gave away one roo, as I only need to keep one, and it was certainly a pullet doing the showdowns! Think they all need some more room now, MUST MUST MUST get their outside coop finished. However, while warm enough, it is too wet now to let them out [​IMG]

5. Jasmine1998

Jasmine1998 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2010
    Montgomery County
    Mine are still doing the kung foo thing at 15 weeks...and it is the hens that are doing it. The two roosters just stand by & watch the silly girls.

6. gamechickens

gamechickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    [​IMG] so cute. when one gives to the other it will stop. all ways make sme laught though

7. edithbunker

edithbunker Out Of The Brooder

Jul 9, 2010
    farmington valley , CT
    My four ladies do this all the time, 2 Rhode island Reds, an auracona and a black rock, it so funny to see them do this!

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by