2 weeks old chicking dying

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by cramnath, Feb 22, 2012.

1. cramnath

cramnath New Egg

Feb 22, 2012
    i have approx 7000 chicks in one farm and today i found over 100 died over night. the chick are 2weeks lod today and progessing very good before this occured. The one that are dying are refusing to eat or dring and internal visual inspection revieled nothing. any ideas or assistance would be highly appreciated.

Thank you.

2. Patchesnposies

Patchesnposies Chickens.....are my ONE weakness!

Mar 5, 2008
    Southern New Mexico
    My first thought would be are they warm enough? If they are exposed to drafts, cold temps or wetness that will kill them in a hurry. Are the others crowding on top of them? Huddling for warmth?

Chilled chicks will not eat or drink. Have you looked for pasty butts? Just trying to figure out what the problem could be. Any diarrhea?

3. cramnath

cramnath New Egg

Feb 22, 2012
    hey thanks for the reply.

we live in the tropics so the weather is quite warm and there is no pasty butts but some signs of diarrhoea in the chicks. in the last three days we picked up well over 200 dead. there is no signs of ecoli or coccidiosis but there imune system is very weak. no worms to so i cant figure wat the problem is.

the farm is well ventilated and dry so coldness and heat is not a problem.

it is the first time in 13 years as being a farmer i have experianced this sort of thing.

thank you and look forward for your reply.

4. Patchesnposies

Patchesnposies Chickens.....are my ONE weakness!

Mar 5, 2008
    Southern New Mexico
    This is a mystery isn't it? How about their food? Any chance it might be moldy or contaminated? Any chance of rats/mice or other rodents? They might bring in some sort of disease. I know how troubling it is to have illness in your flock (even brooded chicks) and not know what it might be!

I hope you whatever the problem is that it has run its course!

Where are you? (Not being nosy, just curious!)

Deb

5. felidaet

felidaet Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2008
    Vancouver, Wa.
    Another idea. What are you using for bedding? Hopefully you are not using cedar shavings. Also, could there be any chemical fumes of any kind getting to them? Did you clean anything in the brooding area with some kind of a soap or cleaner and maybe not rinse it good enough?

Sorry to hear about your loses. Hopefully you don't lose many more.

6. fried green eggs

fried green eggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2011
    S.E. Michigan
    I'm sure you have already checked but has the water been tested lately? Has anyone sprayed crops in the area? Have you checked feed source to see if anyone else has had problems? Just a thought? You must be [​IMG] Sorry and I hope you find the answer without anymore lose [​IMG]

7. Christie Rhae

Christie Rhae Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2010
    Big Island, Hawaii
    7000?? [​IMG] How does one keep 7000 chicks at 90 degrees? That must be a lot of heat lamps! lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by