2 weeks old, crazy comb development.

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by shmccarthy, Aug 11, 2013.

1. shmccarthy

shmccarthy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2013
    Michigan
    I have a barred rock x Easter egger chick I hatched two weeks ago. I was crossing my fingers for a girl on this one but today I noticed major development in the comb.
    [​IMG]
    Two weeks old and there is barely a little pink coming in already! The other two don't have this at all. I think this is a boy. :)

2. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I agree, that's a lot of comb.

Which parent was the barred rock?

3. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Agree X 2, that's a whole lot of comb for two weeks old.

4. shmccarthy

Mar 27, 2013
    Michigan
    The dad is a barred rock and the mom is an Easter egger. Dad was a really early developer too, he looked full grown at 12 weeks old. I'm pretty excited to see the turnout of this baby, the pictures I've seen of BR and EE crosses look pretty cool :)

5. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    That is a lot of comb for a two week old! I agree; he is a boy! I've seen some Barred Rock/EE crosses too, and they ARE very pretty. It will be interesting to see how you chick turns out.

6. shmccarthy

Mar 27, 2013
    Michigan
    Here's an update on the chicks!
    They will be a month old on Sunday. [​IMG]
    Moki is almost completely feathered out! He's got a few little fuzzes on his head but he is getting very pretty. I'm still thinking boy for him. It's really interesting to see how quick his comb is growing, despite being a pea comb. It probably has something to do with being mixed with a straight comb variety. Anyways, he's huge! Almost too big for the brooder now. He's a lot bigger than the two others.
    [​IMG]
    This is rye. This one is just an EE x EE. She has very feminine coloring so I'm fairly positive she's a girl.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    This one is polo and I'm still unsure about this one. Also an EE. I've seen a lot of females in this color but I have seen males in this color. I will wait and see with this one.

Also, two have hatched this week!
    [​IMG]
    This one was hatched from an EE and the same BR. He is a cross but I am unsure with what. The chick has the body type and comb of the EE but is not chipmunk colored at all. I'm excited to see what this one looks like as an adult.

[​IMG]
    This is the other chick that hatched. This one looks like Moki did as a fuzzy chick. I'm crossing my fingers for a girl for this one so I can pair her up with moki and the other rooster and test the results. :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by