2 weeks old too young to tell hen/roo?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Nickeechickee, Jul 27, 2013.

1. Nickeechickee

Nickeechickee Chirping

Dec 23, 2012
    So I ordered the brown-egg layers special from Meyer - supposedly pullets of course. However, I am starting to worry that one is a rooster. No idea of the breed, other than it is supposedly a brown egg layer. Started out as a light yellow chick, all white feathers where it has feathers now.

[​IMG]
    The comb is much more pronounced than the other two that looked the same upon arrival, though I don't know how many brown-egg laying, all white chicken breeds are out there. I swear it looks pinkish too. Would be about 3 weeks old now.

2. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Crowing

Sep 27, 2012
    Thats a boy.

3. Nickeechickee

Nickeechickee Chirping

Dec 23, 2012
    Wow, I just can't win. Last time I ordered 4 sexed pullets got one roo. This time I split an order of 16 with a friend and I have at least one roo. I have 6 more coming Tuesday - should probably count on a roo there too? Don't suppose there is any chance he'll be a quiet roo?

4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I'd just wait before writing it off. I agree, it looks suspicious, but wait until 6 weeks or so to be sure. Some of those production hens have more comb than you'd think.

5. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 Free Ranging

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    At three weeks that is most probably a roo, tiny chance it is a pullet with a huge comb, but those are some pretty stout legs its got also. This has been the year of the rooster I think, there seem to be more oops roosters in the orders than usual, and the straight run stuff has really run towards males. As somebody said, the odds on your rooster being quiet are directly proportional to the number of neighbors you have for him to annoy.

6. Tricoglossus

Tricoglossus Songster

Mar 15, 2012
    Perth, Western Australia
    Ha ha! Well said. It's always the way. [​IMG]

7. Nickeechickee

Nickeechickee Chirping

Dec 23, 2012
    HAHAHAHA! Well I guess given that I'm an "urban" chicken owner that's supposed to be doing it on the down low I will have the noisiest ones of the bunch too. Last time I was devastated by it - this time I'm going to attempt to go into it with the idea that we will be eating him. Since my prettiest EE ended up being a boy I don't have much hope that this is just a quick-developing girl.

Thanks for confirming my suspicions everyone.

8. Nickeechickee

Nickeechickee Chirping

Dec 23, 2012
    [​IMG]
    Here is he is with another white one - pretty obvious huh?

9. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Yeah, actually, that pic doesn't seem to leave much to doubt, does it?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: