2 weird eggs one day.....

travl4me1

In the Brooder
7 Years
Sep 26, 2012
I have 6 young hens. Everything has been pretty smooth through the winter. Steady average 4-6 eggs a day. I have never had an abnormality. Today I have 2.

1. One gigantic EE egg. Carton will not close, but set inside carton for pic.

2. I believe a Wynadotte soft shell egg. Membrane good, and yolk are inside but no shell. toss it?

Nothing has changed. Weather, food, run area all the same. Coincidence?

Last edited:
Nice sized egg, did you weight it? You can eat a egg that has only the membrane and not the shell. Usually the only defect is the missing calcium shell.

I cut open soft shell and it looked 100% fine, but discarded. They are given calcium on the side, so I don't know what cause that hiccup.

EE egg went on the scale in the mail room here. 100 grams on the dot. 3.55 ounces. I'll crack it in the next few days. If I get any impressive discovery, I'll post.

I looked at her vent last night and nothing looked out of sorts, and she was up scratching around the yard this morning. Maybe the one that laid the soft shell got intimidated when she saw this trophy laying in the next box, and gave up.
hu.gif

If your in chickens long enough you'll see everything. But an occasional oops eggs happens. Hen lays eggs then for no reason we can find she has an oops, then goes back to normal again.

Back
Top Bottom