2 weird eggs one day.....

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by travl4me1, Mar 6, 2013.

1. travl4me1

travl4me1 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 26, 2012
    I have 6 young hens. Everything has been pretty smooth through the winter. Steady average 4-6 eggs a day. I have never had an abnormality. Today I have 2.

1. One gigantic EE egg. Carton will not close, but set inside carton for pic.

2. I believe a Wynadotte soft shell egg. Membrane good, and yolk are inside but no shell. toss it?

Nothing has changed. Weather, food, run area all the same. Coincidence?
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 6, 2013
  2. Den in Penn

Den in Penn Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2011
    SE Pa.
    Nice sized egg, did you weight it? You can eat a egg that has only the membrane and not the shell. Usually the only defect is the missing calcium shell.

3. PSJ

PSJ Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2011
    Sabine Parish, La
    Holy moly! Bless the EE who laid that. Ouch. Wonder if it's a double yolk?

4. travl4me1

Sep 26, 2012
    I cut open soft shell and it looked 100% fine, but discarded. They are given calcium on the side, so I don't know what cause that hiccup.

EE egg went on the scale in the mail room here. 100 grams on the dot. 3.55 ounces. I'll crack it in the next few days. If I get any impressive discovery, I'll post.

I looked at her vent last night and nothing looked out of sorts, and she was up scratching around the yard this morning. Maybe the one that laid the soft shell got intimidated when she saw this trophy laying in the next box, and gave up. [​IMG]

5. Den in Penn

Den in Penn Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2011
    SE Pa.
    If your in chickens long enough you'll see everything. But an occasional oops eggs happens. Hen lays eggs then for no reason we can find she has an oops, then goes back to normal again.

6. travl4me1

Sep 26, 2012
    It was a big double yoker. Like two big pretty eyes looking back at me.
    [​IMG]

7. PSJ

PSJ Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2011
    Sabine Parish, La
    Awesome! I love to see a double yoker!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by