2 welsummer chicks ??? need help sexing

spideretc

Hatching
Jul 24, 2015
hi! i have two welsummer chicks. they seemed the same age when i got them, as they were both tiny and the lady said they were abt a week old. she also said that they were both pullets, but i've since read that welsummer sexing based on markings is not 100%.
one is slightly bigger, has traditional welsummer markings, doesnt mind being held, and is growing a v small yellow comb
the other is browner, splotchy, darker markings that don't look very welsummery, hates being held, is starting to "fly" and has no comb growing whatsoever

i initially thought the one growing the comb might be a roo because he...has a little comb already! and maybe he is but, now i am wondering, is the browner, combless one also a roo? is it even a welsummer? maybe it is some type of hybrid.... i am going to attach a photo in a minute i just have to transfer the image from my phone!

You might want to put this on the What Breed/What Gender forum. Make sure you include their pictures. As they mature, a male Welsummer will have black on the breast while a female will have a salmon color. At this age I'm not experienced enough to tell you gender.

Not sure about the darker one but the lighter one looks like it might be a pullet to me. (But, hey, I'm often wrong), If you have both sexes it is easier to compare the combs of male and female.
Since I love different colored eggs, I have different breeds in my flock and of all my hens, the welsumers have the largest combs along with my olive egger hens which are cream legbar x welsumer. In your picture the comb looks pretty pale.

That first one doesn't look much like a Welsummer chick, and it looks like it has the beginnings of a pea comb. Sexing by markings only works if they are very carefully bred. I think you only have on Welsummer chick. Post again in at about 6 weeks and we'll be able to help more.

so, still dunno if they are m or f... i sort of felt like the comb on one but not the other meant it was definitely male! but idk... here they are at 4-5 weeks.... looking at those old pics they were so fluffy!!! now they have way more feathers

One is a Welsummer, the other looks to be an Easter Egger. They have different comb types. The Welsummer has a single comb, the Easter Egger has a pea comb. It will be at least another 2 or 3 weeks before they are feathered in enough to guess if they are male or female.

hi! they are 6-7 weeks now... the welsummer's comb is getting rosy at the base, but the comb is still yellow... still worried it might be a roo!!!
the easter egger with the pea comb seems to be growing two rows of pea comb.... which i have read is a female quality but i am not sure.
let me know what you guys think! i hope the welsummer is a pullet!!! thanks everybody for ur help!!!!

The 'Easter Egger' has a rose comb (wedge shape), not a pea comb. I doubt it's an Easter Egger. It's looking more like a Partridge Wyandotte now. The Welsummer has a rosey chest, so it's pretty safe to say it's a pullet.

Back
Top Bottom