2 wk chick with knee that won't bend

chestnrl

Hatching
Mar 25, 2017

Two weeks ago we hatch chicks and only had two. This one had a bad splayed leg. Which was not this leg but the other. It stuck out straight behind. We did the tape the legs together and it took 2 weeks and it is doing really well. This leg the feet were twisted and the longest toe was really swollen when it was hatched so we made the sandal for the toes to help straighten out but they wouldn't. Long story short we that leg the knee is stuck up. What can we do to help it come down so she can walk normally? We do not want to put her down. HELP please from an Elementary School in Virginia.

Last edited:

Could be the result of a vitamin deficiency. I would get a good vitamin supplement to add to their water to start. I would then look up chick sandal for that chicks curled up feet, make one, and see if that helps correct along with the vitamins. Paralysis of the hock joint could be disease related or could be, as I said, lack of certain vitamin. I think it is the B vitamin, but could be E or others, so I would just get a good supplement with not salt as first ingredient, but a good range of the other vitamins, A, B, D, E, K, thiamine, riboflavin, etc.

Thank you! I will head out today and get that. I was also going to get medicated food for her. Should I still get that too? She is also so much smaller that her sister, her sister is almost twice her size.

How long should it take for a lock hock to release once the chick is on vitamins in water and medicated food?

Thank you! I will head out today and get that. I was also going to get medicated food for her. Should I still get that too? She is also so much smaller that her sister, her sister is almost twice her size.

Oh, that sounds like a chick that "fails to thrive". Is it eating? It will need to stay on a good vitamin therapy for weeks. Make sure you don't overdose on the vitamins when mixing, but I would keep them in the water. These type of chicks don't always make it, but some do. Some end up growing to regular size, others grow, but are always smaller than their flockmates. Do some physical therapy on the hock a few times a day, and just keep it on vitamin water. Could take weeks. Those curled toes needs sandals too and hopefully a week in a sandal and vitamins will help with that. Just make sure the chick is drinking. The problem with these chicks is they tend not to want to eat. I would suggest trying to feed it soft baby food through small syringe (like baby oatmeal, baby peas, etc) to get it interested, but that is hard to do in school enviroment. It may not make it and if it is only one of two chicks you have, that isn't good news for the other chick if it doesn't make it. Chicks need flockmates. They need to grow up with them too. The good news is it's chick season and you may be able to go to a feed store or check craigslist and get another chick of close age to join this tiny group you have. Because the chances are good that chick won't make it and if that happens, the other chick needs a companion of close age (generally within a week) where ever it may end up at.

Here is some info on what may be happening with chick:

http://www.thepoultrysite.com/diseaseinfo/89/malabsorption-syndrome-runting-stunting/

She love to eats and drinks but I will still try the baby food. Anything to give her a chance. Thank you for her help.

Back
Top Bottom