2 wk old chicks - is this blood in poop?

eggfooyoung

Chirping
Mar 29, 2017
Raleigh, NC
Hi all - woke up and found this in the brooder. The chicks who did it are very active and all over the place, eating and drinking without issue. I say that because I found this on top of the MHP and the ones who can jump up there are the biggest and most active of all the chicks. There are three separate poops in this pic - on the bottom, there's just a tiny hint of pink/red on the top/tip. On the top there is more, and it's more like pink in color and definitely stringy. The one in the middle is gel-like in consistency, stringy, and accompanied by what seems like a normal poop. I did not change their food and they have a "tea" of Nutridench in their water, and have had that for the past 5-6 days. Other than that, there are pine shavings in their brooder, the food, the "tea" and nothing else but heat. Is this blood from disease or is this intestinal sloughing? I did have them in a box y'day while I cleaned their brooder and they seemed to be pecking a lot at the pine shavings and a little at the box itself. Help? (cross posted in emergencies as well)

Last edited:
Since your chicks are acting fine, I would count this as intestinal sloughing, and simply keep an eye on them. If you see them acting sick, then... you may have a problem. How old are they, where did you get them? The poo in the top of the pic looks well formed and normal. My go to for all issues chick related is PND, and fermented feed, as well as a plug of sod from an untreated lawn. These three items have never failed me!

My chicks are 4 weeks old and have runny poops they are eating too much and sometimes sit down and close thier eyes and become inactive thier poops are brownish and white
I need help

My chicks are 4 weeks old and have runny poops they are eating too much and sometimes sit down and close thier eyes and become inactive thier poops are brownish and white
I need help
You could have your own thread, and it would get the special attention it deserves. Just click on "start a new thread" above. And try to post photos and a more detailed description of how chicks are behaving - how often, when, etc.

Back
Top Bottom