2 wk old chicks super active at night. How do I settle them down?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by SammiChicks, Apr 2, 2009.

1. SammiChicks

SammiChicks New Egg

Mar 27, 2009
    Sammamish WA
    I have 5, two week old chicks that are scratching like crazy in their box. We have a small house and their box is in the livingroom. I love listening to them during the day, but at night they seem loud and very busy. I have a red light on them for heat, and turn white light on during the day and off at night. But they don't seem to be settling down at night. They are scratching and peeping like mad late into the night. Is there a better way for me to tire them out during the day or something I can do so they will quiet down at night?

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Are they too warm? Can you raise the light a little?

3. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Mine were always active at night too, like infants. Buy ear plugs!!!!

4. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    Mine are active on & off all night, too. Can you move them to another area of the house, or even a garage? If they have a heat source they'll be fine.

5. SammiChicks

SammiChicks New Egg

Mar 27, 2009
    Sammamish WA
    I moved the heat light up and they seem a bit calmer. We'll see if that helps tonight. More than the noise, they just seemed agitated. I've never had chickens before, so I didn't know if it was normal behavoir or what. Thanks for the suggestions.

6. Spires6

Spires6 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2009
    Ohio
    I feel your pain Sammichicks. We have 25 chicks and 16 turkey poults in the kitchen and my bedroom is at the other end of the house. Those little peepers kept me up last night. The turkey poults were worse than the chicks. Good luck with that. Mine will be going out to the garage at 2 weeks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by