2 wk old speckled sussex weak and off balance Pics included

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by staggerlee, Mar 4, 2009.

1. staggerlee

staggerlee Out Of The Brooder

Jan 30, 2009
    Bear Creek NC
    So we got a batch in the mail on 2/17...lost 2 in transit and 1 a week later. My husband is convinced it ate the pine shavings. Then last Friday..I found this little one half dead. We brought her upstairs and gave her sugar water which really perked her up. Then on Monday we started her on elecrolytes/vitamins and oxytetracyline in her water. She seems stable but not thriving like the others. She's still by herself. She has trouble with her balance and uses her wings to help when she walks. She's eating drinking and pooping good. Any thoughts or suggestions would be much appreciated. I want to name her but don't want to jinx her either. So I'm waiting. If I did this right, there should be 3 pics...1 standing, 1 turning from her food dish with wings out and right after, she sat down.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Kimiko

Kimiko Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2009
    riverside
    What are they eating?

Rickets comes to mind--when was your food manufactured? The left foot looks swollen--it could be a weird angle--does she have bumblefoot?

Any other signs--respiratory etc?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by