2 Wyandottes stopped laying, one has pale comb

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by fishergirl25, Nov 18, 2014.

1. fishergirl25

fishergirl25 New Egg

Apr 22, 2014
    Del Mar, CA
    Hi, I have two wyandottes that I got in the springtime. One of them started laying in late september/october and I'm not certain if the other did or not. But for the last 2 weeks we have had no eggs. We live in coastal southern california. I understand the days are shorter and the seasons are changing (not as extreme as other parts of the country) but I am concerned since one of the chickens has a pale comb. They are pooping, which I assume means they are eating, but it seems like they have less interest in their fresh scrap veges/fruit than normal. I feel like their appetite is lower than normal.

Could they possibly be molting? I read on another thread that they don't molt the first season, is this true?

2. Tanichca

Tanichca Sparkle Magnet

May 6, 2009
    Vail, Arizona
    They might be molting, or just reacting to the dropping temperatures and shorter days. As long as they're active and eating, don't worry too much... no eggs is sad, but you'll get more eventually.

3. fishergirl25

fishergirl25 New Egg

Apr 22, 2014
    Del Mar, CA
    Okay, so we haven't had any eggs for 7 weeks now. Chickens are eating, drinking and free ranging. What are we doing wrong? Are Wyandottes supposed to be good layers?

4. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Free range birds sometimes need to be 'trained'(or re-trained) to lay in the coop nests, especially new layers. Leaving them locked in the coop for 2-3 days can help 'home' them to lay in the coop nests. They can be confined to coop 24/7 for a few days to a week, or confine them at least until mid to late afternoon. You help them create a new habit and they will usually stick with it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by