2"x4" Welded wire for apron?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by bobbi-j, May 28, 2010.

1. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    Just wondering if that would work. I have plenty of it here, so I'd like to be able to use it if it would be effective. As long as I'm asking questions, what about the top? I want to put something over it, but don't know what's the best route. I'm thinking more welded wire, Hubby is thinking "something not real expensive" which probably means chicken wire. I'm not worried about hawks. Our birds free range right now and they're not a problem. I'm more worried about when I'm gone this summer and hubby is taking care of my chickens. He tends to forget to shut the coop at night, or doesn't get it done till late. I don't want a raccoon or possum coming in over the top and getting into the coop. When it's shut, the coop is secure. I want my run to be, also.

2. gallinamama

gallinamama Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2010
    Macomb, Michigan
    Quote:I am a newbie at this also... we just finished constucting our run... my husband put in 4 x 4 posts and I hammered heavy duty staples into the wire that I wrapped around the 4 x 4's.. then we layed it on top and nailed, stapled and wired it to some 2 x 4's that he layed and secured on top. [​IMG] My hands were blistered and swollen.. haven't done that much hard labor in years...[​IMG] I also want to put some kind of roof or cover on the top to block out some of the rain and sun... I am going to plant some trees around so they will have more shade in the summer.

I found out that our shed has some openings on the bottom...It was a prebuilt and I thought the wood runners it was sitting on were solid... nope.. one baby chick got out.. and I had to chase it three times around the coop and run before i caught it..[​IMG] I am 55 years old and need all the exersise I can get.[​IMG]

You are right about the racoons.. they are everywhere here... my neighbor had to go to the hospital and left her husband in charge of the chickens.. took one night and all 15 were gone... a family of racoons wiped them out...[​IMG]

3. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    2 by 4 welded wire should work fine for an apron. You don't need to be worried about "reach through," just something that is trying to dig. I suppose a rat could dig and then fit through those openings, but not one of the bigger predators.

I don't really see the point of putting chicken wire over the top of a run if hawks aren't an issue. Why bother? A raccoon can easily rip through chicken wire. I'd use the 2 by 4 welded wire (at least) for the roof, and then the only thing to worry about would be reach through predation.

I know what you mean about forgetful husbands, bless 'em.

4. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    If the coop door isn't always going to be closed on schedule, I would also recommend the 2x4 wire for the top, to keep out raccoons. For the apron, 2x4 would keep out raccoons, coyotes and dogs, but not weasels and rats. Weasels aren't as common a problem as raccoons, so I guess it depends on where you live and how much of a gambler you are.

5. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    Thanks for all the input! I'm thinking I'll talk him into the 2x4. They can go into the coop if they need to get out of the weather since it's an 8x8 building. (I have pictures on here on another post somewhere....) There is good shade for part of the day.

Gallinamama - A couple of years ago I was gone for 3 weeks, coming home on the weekends. I started out with 8 hens when I left. There were 5 by the end of the third week, 3 the next week and then none. We farm, he gets busy and is tired at the end of the day. I'm not blaming him as I know how it gets sometimes. That's why I'm trying to make things as tight as possible. I'd love to see pics of your coop and the run you worked so hard on!

Elmo - The fence is welded wire with 1/2" hardware cloth going 24" up so reachthrough isn't too much of a problem. I know it won't stop the smaller varmints (weasels, mink and rats) but I guess I'm going to have to take that chance.

WoodlandWoman - Coons and coyotes are definitely our main problems here. We also have skunks, possums, mink and weasels. I've had rats in the coop, but am not too worried about them. They pretty much stay around our grain bins. Weasels don't show up very often. Mink are definitely more common. We have a huge slough right across the road from our house with mink in it, and sometimes they find their way over here.

6. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    Well, I got the apron on today. Tomorrow I'm hoping to be able to get the welded wire for the top. Thanks again for your input!

7. Dorte

Dorte Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2010
    Quote:I am a newbie at this also... we just finished constucting our run... my husband put in 4 x 4 posts and I hammered heavy duty staples into the wire that I wrapped around the 4 x 4's.. then we layed it on top and nailed, stapled and wired it to some 2 x 4's that he layed and secured on top. [​IMG] My hands were blistered and swollen.. haven't done that much hard labor in years...[​IMG] I also want to put some kind of roof or cover on the top to block out some of the rain and sun... I am going to plant some trees around so they will have more shade in the summer.

I found out that our shed has some openings on the bottom...It was a prebuilt and I thought the wood runners it was sitting on were solid... nope.. one baby chick got out.. and I had to chase it three times around the coop and run before i caught it..[​IMG] I am 55 years old and need all the exersise I can get.[​IMG]

You are right about the racoons.. they are everywhere here... my neighbor had to go to the hospital and left her husband in charge of the chickens.. took one night and all 15 were gone... a family of racoons wiped them out...[​IMG]

Would you happen to have pictures? I'd love to see it!

8. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    It sounds like what you are doing will probably work for you. If it turns out that you have more losses while you are away, you can always think about going to an automatic door for the coop. You can buy or build one. We bought one with a light sensor, so we wouldn't have to constantly reset the timer to adjust for the difference in day length.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by