2 y/o hen w/roundworms (pics)

chickachickayea

Songster
Mar 25, 2016
LV, PA
Found roundworms in my 2 year old hen's poop Tuesday am (figured out it was her by checking who was roosting where through the night). I treated the whole flock with Safeguard equine paste Tues pm, Weds pm and Thurs pm. She has passed a worm nearly each night, and last night she passed 2. They are each about 2 inches long. Is this consistent passing normal? Should I continue to treat her specifically for a few more days? Or stop first round of treatment and do second round in 10 days, as per usual deworming instructions?

FWIW I am in SE PA and we have had a hot monsoon-like summer, which I've read makes things worse when it comes to parasites/worms...

TIA
(Worm pics below)

20180814_071706.jpg

Tuesday am - then treated Tues pm

20180816_072516.jpg

Thursday am

20180817_065135.jpg

Friday am

Attachments

• 20180816_072516.jpg
    20180816_072516.jpg
    454.5 KB · Views: 3
Assuming dose was correct (.25ml per pound of weight) then you should be fine. I would re-dose once in 10 days. Sometimes after worming they will pass some worms in the droppings as they die off. Sometimes they will not, they are just absorbed/digested. The repeat dose in 10 days is to get any eggs that hatch after the initial treatment, before they are able to lay any more, that way the cycle is broken. Roundworms are easily picked up in the environment, so you may find you need to worm regularly to keep them controlled. If you can get a fecal done in 4 -6 months (unless you see symptoms sooner) that would help you determine if there is any reinfection and help you determine how often you may need to worm. I also would worm the entire flock. If one has them then there is a very good chance there are more and they just haven't passed them in the droppings.

Assuming dose was correct (.25ml per pound of weight) then you should be fine. I would re-dose once in 10 days. Sometimes after worming they will pass some worms in the droppings as they die off. Sometimes they will not, they are just absorbed/digested. The repeat dose in 10 days is to get any eggs that hatch after the initial treatment, before they are able to lay any more, that way the cycle is broken. Roundworms are easily picked up in the environment, so you may find you need to worm regularly to keep them controlled. If you can get a fecal done in 4 -6 months (unless you see symptoms sooner) that would help you determine if there is any reinfection and help you determine how often you may need to worm. I also would worm the entire flock. If one has them then there is a very good chance there are more and they just haven't passed them in the droppings.

Thanks @coach723! Dosage was correctly calculated and I have been treating the whole flock, so I'm good on that. So last night was the last first round dosage, now I wait 10 days for second dosage for potential eggs?

Back
Top Bottom