2-year-old chicken can't bend her legs

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by SweetJoy7, Nov 24, 2013.

1. SweetJoy7

SweetJoy7 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2013
    Hello! We have a two year old Brahma that has been sick for a while. She can't walk, but she can stand up with some help. She doesn't seem like she can bend her legs. She falls over often,and she doesn't eat much food but she does drink sometimes.
    Thank you!!!

2. realsis

realsis Crazy for Silkies

Jan 17, 2013
    California
    Was she vaccinated for mareks disease? You can try giving her some vitamins and see if it might be a vitamin defiencey. Also I would do some research on mareks disease and see if you think her symptoms could be similar. Mareks is virtually everywhere and is a HIGHLY contagious air borne disease. It causes tumors inside the body and those tumors press on the nerves usually causing a limp or paralysis or in ability to walk. Also weight loss and wasting. Many folks here have mareks in their flock and are VERY educated on the subject. If you look up mareks and agree she might have it then I'm sure you can get help from those folks. having mareks in your flock does NOT mean all your birds will have the symptoms and become ill but it does mean that the other birds that have been exposed are likely carriers even though they are not sick they could still spread it to other birds. You would have to get your bird tested to confirm mareks. Other things can also cause the symptoms your expirencing. However mareks is very common so I would do some research on it and see what YOU think. I hope this is helpful and I wish you the best. I would go online and search these forums to read up on mareks disease and see the symptoms it can produce. In the mean time go ahead and try a good vitamin regiment and see if it helps her. It won't hurt to try.good luck to you.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by