2 year old hen has stopped laying and is crowing

deborah

Songster
13 Years
Oct 22, 2007
Chelsea, MI
My 2 year old olive egger has started crowing. We have a rooster who crows louder and better. She is not a dominate hen. We first noticed the crowing when we had some 12 week old chicks and figured one of them was a cockerel, but after we sold the chicks, the crowing continued. That's when we figured out it was this hen. After a couple weeks, she stopped laying eggs. And we noticed her wattles and comb and gotten redder.

I have no idea why this is happening. As I said we have a rooster and she no where near the top of the pecking order. I don't want to cull her, but if she's not laying eggs and I cannot reverse, that may be my only choice.

Does anyone have any advice?

I had a crowing hen once that never stopped her laying her daily egg.
A red face usually means egg laying hen.
How do you know she is not
Laying an egg?
Maybe she is laying them where you are not looking?
I only have 2 olive eggers; the most green eggs we ever get are 2. The other olive egger had gone broody. We just broke her of the broodiness (We've already hatched 3 batches of chicks this year and didn't want any more). We got our first green egg in a while yesterday and I figure it is from the olive egger who had been broody.

I have a similar situation with one of my sebright hens who is actively laying as well as crowing. She’s not the dominant hen (and is at least half the size of any other bird in the flock). It doesn’t seem to be affecting her ability to lay, but I don’t know what her deal is. Has she continued to lay the last month?

Back
Top Bottom