2 year old hen is listless and losing feathers

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chickenfreak, May 15, 2010.

1. chickenfreak

chickenfreak New Egg

May 15, 2010
    Kent, WA
    [​IMG]
    My 2 yr old Red Sex-Link hen, Maisy, has been doing quite poorly lately. She has always been our most reliable layer, and she stopped laying about 5 days ago. She seems to be losing weight (I don't have her actual weight, just from the feel of her) and has been losing feathers around her comb and on her neck. We'd thought maybe she was moulting, but as of yesterday, I noticed that she isn't acting normal. It's hard to define exactly, other than that she's listless and seems depressed.

Today I checked her for mites or other pests, and her skin looks fine to me. I haven't treated her for anything, as I don't know what I'd treat her for. I've only been raising chickens for two years, and the only death we've experienced was when a racoon got our Goldie a couple of months ago. Since then we've stopped letting them free range in the yard unsupervised (they have a large outdoor pen which is pretty secure.

I've never seen any of our other girls pick on her. She was usually near the top of the pecking order. We did recently bring a rooster into our family, as we're experimenting with breeding another of our girls. Skippy (the rooster) and the other hen are kept in another small coop and yard, but they do interact when everyone is out and about.

I haven't noticed if she's off her feed yet. She pecks a little at the scratch I throw down. I haven't actually seen her poop, but until yesterday didn't really think anything was wrong. I'm feeling terrible about not keeping a closer eye on them, but they've always been such a healthy lot and until yesterday she seemed like she was just one of the girls.

Wondering if I should call out the vet, or if there's something else I can try first.

2. CoopCrazy

CoopCrazy Brooder Boss

Mar 3, 2009
    Columbus,IN
    I wonder if she may be molting .. That would account for the egg stop...

3. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Have you wormed your chickens in the past? Please read "threehorses" messages on worming. I follow her directions to the letter.

4. chickenfreak

chickenfreak New Egg

May 15, 2010
    Kent, WA
    Thanks, I'll try that. Haven't seen any worms in anything. Guess they're microscopic?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by