2 year old hens stopped laying

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Zalamom, Jun 17, 2016.

1. Zalamom

Zalamom New Egg

Jun 17, 2016
    A friend moved recently and gave me 5 hens. 3 look like auracanas (they have ear tufts) and 2 are mixed breed chickens. Each day I am getting 1 brown egg and every other day I get 1 green egg. I'm wondering if these girls are near the end of their laying life or if there is something I can do to help them lay more? I'm new to this and have only had chickens for about 2 months. I also have 17 chickens raised from chicks, so none of those are laying yet. Thank you in advance to anyone who can offer advice.

2. ChickityChina

ChickityChina Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2016
    Carroll County, Maryland
    2 years old is too early to be at the end of their laying abilities. Hens will lay normally for 6 years or more on average, and then begin to taper off as they age further.

I don't know for sure, but perhaps they are still a bit out of sorts from the transplant. They no longer have their normal home and are still getting used to their new surroundings. I would give them another few weeks or so and see if they improve as they become more familiar and more settled in. Good luck!

Last edited: Jun 17, 2016
  3. CluckerCottage

CluckerCottage Chillin' With My Peeps

I agree with ChicketyChina.
    If you know that your new girls are disease and parasite free, they are most likely just stressed from the move.
    In time they will start laying again.
    All you can do is make sure they have fresh water and a good layer formula with free choice of grit and oyster shell.
    Make sure they have shade and keep them cool with misters or veggies frozen in water. They will peck away to get to the treats and will drink the melted ice.
    Good luck with your new girls!

4. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

You just got them and to a Chicken it was a big, big deal to be moved from the coop they only knew.
    They will bounce back and the eggs will be flying again.
    Chickens like a simple life...They know where they live and sleep.
    That changes? so does egg production.
    Give it a week or so? They will be great again.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2016

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by