2 Year Old Light Brahma Hen Not Walking

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ctomsheck, Aug 3, 2013.

1. ctomsheck

ctomsheck New Egg

Jul 24, 2011
    Yesterday morning I checked on my hens and although there was a light rain, all were happily foraging except my Lt Brahma, Phoebe, who was just sitting on the deck in the rain, soaking wet. I scooped her up and brought her inside, wrapped her in a towel and held her until she warmed up. When I put her down, I noticed she was not walking, however, she was eating and drinking and pooping normal poop.

She spent the night in the heated bathroom and seemed fine in the morning, but she was still not walking.

I ran a tub of warm water and soaked her for a little while, and that was when I noticed she would hold onto my finger with her right toes, but nothing with her left toes. I saw no evidence of any wounds.

She tries to walk but is not putting any weight on her left leg. It just shoots out in front of her or next to her if she tries. Phoebe is in good health other than the leg issue, and just completed a molt.

Does anyone have any advice if I should work her leg for her to keep up her leg muscle, or just wait and see if it corrects itself?

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    You said she just completed a molt--how old is she? Mareks disease always comes to mind when a chicken can't walk, and apparently it can happen in an older chicken, not just chicks. Do you think she injured or broke her leg? By her not moving her left toes I guess she could have nerve damage if she broke it. I would keep her in a little pen with food and water so that she doesn't get hurt by the others. a baby aspirin might help pain and inflammation. Hopefully she will start to improve. I would start her on vitamins including Vitamin E, just in case it is a deficiency.

3. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    It sounds like she somehow sprained or pulled a ligament or tendon. Keep her isolated in a cage or crate and provide her with feed and water. You want her to get as much rest and relaxation as possible. You dont want her standing, running around, nor doing leg exercises which will cause further injury or worse. You can purchase vitamin B complex tablets at a pharmacy, crush a few into powder and sprinkle the powder on her feed to eat. The vitamin B complex may help her heal quicker. Do this for 5 days, then release her and see if she walks normal. If not, recage her and repeat the vitamin B complex in her feed treatment for another 5 days, then release her again. If she still isnt walking normal, recage her, but stop the vitamin B complex treatment.
    Leg injuries in chickens take time to heal; anywhere from a few days to a couple of weeks, months, or never. After a couple of months if she isnt walking normally, it becomes a quality of life issue.

4. ctomsheck

ctomsheck New Egg

Jul 24, 2011
    To the best of my knowledge Phoebe is 2 years old. She was given to me last summer when her owner had a stroke and was no longer able to care for her. I do think it is possible that she jumped off a roost she was not accustomed to roosting on, and her being a large bird and the roost being higher than usual, an injury may have occurred. This is just guessing on my part, as her visit to the roost was earlier in the week, and I did not witness a fall of any kind. She had not shown any sign of trauma until I noticed her sitting in the rain yesterday.

5. ctomsheck

ctomsheck New Egg

Jul 24, 2011
    Thank you for the suggestions. Last night she spent the night in the bathtub, and today she stayed in my bedroom, and spent a little time outside sitting in the grass. I have a little wire rabbit cage that we use for a broody breaker that I can keep her in for 5 day runs. I will call our local cooperative extension tomorrow to see what they have to say, as well. Thank you again!

6. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    I agree about roost height. I've had the same thing happen with my heavy breeds. Lowering roosts and eliminating other high places that they can jump down from will stop these types of problems.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by