2 year old mated pair of toulouse geese

Discussion in 'Geese' started by chickenboy1, Aug 17, 2011.

1. chickenboy1

chickenboy1 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 16, 2010
    Gordonville pa
    I just got my toulouse pair last night the owner said they are 2 years old or younger she said the female sat on eggs this past spring but never hatched any thing .I was wondering when the is the next time she will go broody? also the male is always hissing at me and she does to will they stop after they get used to me?[​IMG]

2. 1MrsMagoo

1MrsMagoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2010
    St Tammany Parish LA
    The hissing will get better with time. I've only had my Pomeranian pair since Sunday. For the first two days if I even approached the pasture they hissed and now it only happens when I am within a couple feet of them. I even was able to pick the goose up last night with minimal resistance.

From what I have read, the geese lay in the early spring. I am sure somebody with far more experience will chime in soon. It is important to know when they lay because they are supposed to be switched to layer rations about 2 weeks prior to the breeding season.

3. pete55

pete55 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 19, 2011
    Suffolk, UK
    Hi. Nice to hear that you're pleased with your new Toulouse. Are they Utility (Farmhouse) Toulouse or Dewlaps? If you click onto breed information for geese them there's some information about Dewlaps I posted. The hissing will ease especially if they're Dewlaps as they.'re usually a quiet breed. They usually start laying in March or April as the breeding season is finished for this year. Hope you enjoy your birds as I love Toulouse. Pete.

4. chickenboy1

Jul 16, 2010
    Gordonville pa
    They are not dwelps they are farmhouse kind does that change any thing about the hatching or nesting time or anything? She sat last year as I was told so I hope she knows what to do this year since she never hatched any last time:/

5. pete55

pete55 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 19, 2011
    Suffolk, UK
    Hi

Yes it does change a little in that the Farmhouse Toulouse are usually easier to breed than the Dewlaps. The breeding season remains the same but putting them on waterfowl/goose breeders pellets in February will help increase your chances of sucess. It's not at all unusual for young birds to fail at their first breeding attempt so dont worry about it.

Pete [​IMG]

6. chickenboy1

Jul 16, 2010
    Gordonville pa
    Ok were can i buy the waterfowl feed for breeding time? also will they breed like ducks in a kiddie pool? also when will she make her nest when she is ready? And i know she probably just made rookie mistakes i hope she knows what she is doing when the time comes:D

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by