1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

2 year old never laid egg, didn't walk much, passed at 2

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Tracyree, Mar 12, 2012.

1. Tracyree

Tracyree Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2011
    So about 12 years ago I had my first hen. She was a silkkie and it was her and a silkie rooster.

I had her 2 years and she never laid an egg. She didn't walk around much either. She could walk, didn't stumble when she did, but wasn't quick on her feet like what i now know normal chicken should be. (at the time, I figured roosters were spunky and hens oddly slow)

I've always been curious what was wrong with her and why she dies so young. She got slower and slower and eventually stopped leaving the coop, then I found her passed away one morning.

Ideas?

2. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    She was likely an internal layer. Those symptoms sound about right. Did she get quite thin at the end?

3. Tracyree

Tracyree Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2011
    She did, yes, very thin.

4. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    I think if you had opened her up there would have been no question. She was probably an internal layer from day 1 if you never got any eggs from her.

I am sorry. I know it has been a long time, but you obviously still think of her, so she must have been pretty special in your mind.

Good luck.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by